Chapter 6: Follow the Butterfly

Now in Antonio's room, Emilia and Mirabel sat on the tile floor in silence. Bruno was making preparations for his vision casting, and Emilia was now on edge. She had noticed how tense the atmosphere was; many of the animals seemed restless, and the room was too quiet which was not a good sign.

The two women both watched as Bruno poured a bag of sand around them in order to create a large circle. Once he was finished, Bruno joined Mirabel and Emilia inside the barrier and began the next part of the ritual. Bruno picked up a match and lit it with a sigh. Emilia, hearing the sigh, sent an encouraging smile his way. Bruno noticed this and then began to visibly relax a little.

He then proceeded light some leaves, and both Emilia and Mirabel noticed the wind begin pick up inside the room. Noticing how anxious Mirabel seemed, Emilia put a comforting hand on her niece's shoulder. It could be easy to forget how intense the premonitions were if you had never seen them being performed before. Next, after taking a deep breath to calm himself, Bruno closed his eyes and held out his hands. Taking one of Bruno's hands in her right, and holding out her left to Mirabel, Emilia whispered to her niece that she might want to hold on.

Mirabel quickly grabbed hands with both her aunt and uncle so that they formed a small ring. At that moment, the wind intensified, causing the sand around them to rise, and the three of them waited to see what would appear. At first, things did not look positive at all. They could see the candle going out, massive cracks forming in the mountains nearby, and lastly, the same vision of Mirabel from ten years ago.

At seeing the same outcome as before, Bruno defeatedly exclaimed that nothing was different, but both Emilia and Mirabel tried to encourage him to keep going. Both women then noticed a gold-like hue that began to take on the form of a butterfly. All three of them got on their feet and, still encircled in swirling sand, followed the butterfly a small ways.

Soon the group watched as a different series of visions began to appear. At first, the new premonition showed the candle burning brightly, much to everyone's relief. However, an image of Mirabel then appeared, and it seemed like she was in front of the candle with someone; though they could not yet tell who it was. In the vision, Mirabel and the still unknown figure moved closer to each other and Bruno confidently exclaimed that they were fighting.

Emilia raised an eyebrow at this as Bruno corrected himself and suggested that Mirabel and the person were embracing instead. Frustrated and impatient, Mirabel abruptly asked if they were fighting or hugging. The vision rapidly continued developing, and it was then obvious that it was an embrace, which her uncle happily pointed out. However, they still had to discover who Mirabel needed to hug in order to save the miracle, so they all eagerly waited a little longer.

Not long after, the individual could clearly be seen, but it was someone no one was expecting: Isabela. Mirabel screeched out her sister's name in disbelief, causing Emilia to look over at her youngest niece. Emilia knew that the girls, while lovely and unique in their own ways, had their major differences; how was this gonna work?

The wind then ceased, causing a large amount of sand to come raining down on the group. Looking at the new jade-like tablet in his hands, Bruno excitedly revealed to Mirabel and Emilia the image of the two sisters. It was obvious that Bruno had no clue what the relationship was like between Mirabel and Isabela; especially after that disaster of a dinner.

Staring loathingly at the tablet her uncle was holding, Mirabel let out a loud, irritated growl. Seeing that his niece was not satisfied with this news, Bruno carelessly tossed the slab behind him and then turned to Emilia with an exasperated expression. "Every time" he simply said to her. With a sympathetic look, Emilia simply patted him on the shoulder.