Chapter 3 Revisited: I know (Part 1)

The following morning, Mirabel wasted no time in gathering answers.

At breakfast, Mirabel ran up to Dolores, who was currently filling up a plate of food.

"Dolores, hey!" Mirabel called out to her, "you know, out of all my older cousins, you're, like, my favorite cousin, so I feel like I can talk to you about anything, ergo you can talk to me about anything..."

Dolores stared back blankly. Mirabel kept speaking.

"Like the problem with the magic last night that no one seemed to worry about, but maybe you heard about that maybe I should know about."

Félix then appeared behind Mirabel with Rosa and the real Dolores, who looked unsettled seeing a double of herself.

"Camilo! Stop pretending you're Dolores so you can have seconds" Félix told his son.

Camilo changed back into his actual form.

"Worth a shot" he told them.

"Ah!"

"Hey!"

Casita moved the windows back and forth behind Camilo, hitting him on the back.

Félix rolled his eyes at Camilo's antics, and went to sit down.

"The only one worried about the magic is you, the rats talking in the walls...maybe Tía Emilia and Rosa..." Dolores said, looking over at the young girl, "but they won't tell me anything."

Rosa pouted.

"I want to" Rosa whispered to Dolores "but I told you; I promised Má that I wouldn't."

Emilia then appeared outside and was now approaching the three of them. Mirabel noticed the bags under her aunt's eyes; she obviously hadn't slept well.

What was she hiding?

Mirabel knew she was never going to get any information from her aunt, but maybe if she could get through to Rosa...

Noticing Emilia moving their way, Rosa and Dolores decided to quickly leave.

Before doing so, Dolores turned back, remembering something.

"Oh, and Luisa, I heard her eye twitching; all night. *SQUEAK*"

Mirabel looked over to Luisa. She effortlessly moved a table with one hand, plate of food in the other.

"There we go" Luisa muttered to herself.

Emilia was now beside Mirabel.

"Hey Mira" Emelia greeted her niece with a yawn, taking a small amount of food, "so, what were you all just talking about?"

She stared at Mirabel. The teen never really considered her aunt to be an intimidating person but in this moment her gaze was...intense.

"Oh! Um...you know, just the weather?" Mirabel told her aunt before running off.

Something wasn't right.

"Everyone, to the table! Let's go, let's go" Alma demanded. Casita sent chairs up to the table, and the family crowded around, taking their seats.

Mirabel rushed to sit beside her sister, in the process stealing a seat from Pepa.

"Luisa" Mirabel tried to get her sister's attention.

Pepa glared at Mirabel, thundercloud forming, as she sat beside Félix who helped her calm down.

Alma then gained everyone's attention.