Chapter 9: Hola, Casita

Hello! Welcome to the final chapter of the main story:) I simply cannot wait to keep working on this fanfiction! With Encanto now on Disney+ (Go watch it!!) be prepared for an improved version of this story :)

Happy Holidays everyone!

On their way to river, Emilia's mind kept racing a mile a minute, trying to piece together everything that had brought the family to this point. Should she have noticed the signs sooner? Was it hopeless? The uncertainty and doubt were almost too much.

Emilia was brought out of her thoughts by the sound of her name being called.

Looking over at Bruno, she listened.

Nervously, Bruno asked Emilia what the plan was once they found Mirabel. Emilia paused a moment, then replied that she was not sure anymore. Bruno gave her a worried look; it wasn't normal for Emilia to be so hesitant. They quickly rode along some more. Eventualy, Bruno admitted that he felt like no one would want to see him if they were to go back. And what about his mother? How would she react?? Emilia reminded him that at least she was happy to have him back and that she would stay beside him no matter what.

With a small smile, Bruno responded by telling Emilia that he loved her. Laughing gently, she replied that she knew that.

Emilia had in this moment began to think more positively. The family had stayed together through so much, so there was no possible way everyone could just break apart now; they could work through anything. Emilia was sure of it. With a renewed sense of confidence, they continued on towards the river, faster than they were before.

Eventually, Emilia and Bruno could see the clearing up ahead where the river was. Bruno ended up taking the lead. He must have seen Alma and Mirabel because he started shouting that the whole vision and everything was his idea. Soon, both Emilia and Bruno jumped through the bushes on their horses. Emilia gracefully lept off of her horse and walked towards Alma, begging her to please just stop and listen.

At the same time Bruno, as he got caught in and tripped on the reigns of his horse, was trying to explain to his mother how everything was his idea. Alma began to step forawrd towards her son. Emilia was about to protect Bruno from Alma until the elderly woman enthusiastically wrapped her arms around her son. Both Bruno and Emilia were without words. Emilia could not help but wonder if she missed something.

Before she could register what was happening, Emilia was also pulled into a hug by Alma. Emilia let out a laugh; it had been so long. Emilia, just going with the moment, watched as Alma proceeded to pull Bruno, who was still confused, onto his horse. Following suit, Emilia helped Mirabel onto her own horse, and they followed Alma back to where Casita used to be.

Everyone, Pepa and Julieta especially, were ecstatic to see Bruno again after so many years. Despite his trying to apollogize for many things, Bruno was constantly reassured that it was just great to have him back.

As good as things were, the Madrigals were still without a home, as Camilo pointed out. Looks like they had a lot of work to do. Due to the years of support the Madrigals provided through the use of their gifts, the village had collectively decided to come together and help the Madrigals rebuild their house.

Time passed and, little by little, the home was slowly restored. In the meantime, the Madrigal family slowly began to repair and mend the bonds between eachother. For example, by the time the house was nearly complete, things between Emilia and Bruno were stronger than ever.

As they were carrying some bricks, Bruno looks over at his wife and smirks at how cute she looks when she's focused on a task. Another time, Emilia noticed an empty bucket laying around and immediately gave it to Bruno who promptly put it on his head to make her laugh.

Finally, the new house which stood just as beautiful and large as the original Casita was finished; the only thing they needed was a doorknob. All the family had secretly made a special effort to create a doorknob just for Mirabel. This simple gesture meant to much to the teen and, as she added on the doorknob, the most amazing thing happened.

Everyone watched in awe as magic returned life to Casita and the front door proudly displayed a lovely image of the entire family. Casita moved its shutters in a waving motion, as if it was greeting the family. There was laughter and the floor seemed to move as everyone was ushered into the new home. It had appeared that the restoration of the magic allowed everyone's gifts to return as well, but Emilia could not help but feel like something was different.

Although she did not yet know for sure, Emilia could not shake the feeling that her gift was still gone.

As soon as she had a moment, Emilia ran upstairs. She could see the nursery, the new room designed for Mirabel, and all the other rooms with the doors now looking like they used to before. Things certainly appeared normal until Emilia stood in front of her door;  just staring at it. What was once the image of Emilia surrounded by bubbles, fish, and waves, was now replaced by a simple design of Emilia just as she was.

As she admired the door, she whispered a "Thank you, Casita". Bruno then came up behind Emilia and wrapped his arms around her waist as he also appriciated the new design. He told Emilia that it was more "her". After some time, they both went back downstairs and were just in time for a family portrait. Both of them being moved into place behind Mirabel, Emilia and Bruno smiled for the the photo. Then, all together, the family proudly announced "La Familia Madrigal!"

To Be Continued :)