Chapter 4 Revisited: Engagement Dinner

Under normal circumstances, a meal of ajiaco would be almost comforting for Emilia; it was one of her favorites. However, it would seem that tonight would not fall under "normal circumstances".

Emilia was sitting beside Agustín that night, waiting for dinner to start. All she could do was pray that Dolores could make it through dinner without revealing everything about Mirabel and the prophecy. Rosa was sitting across from Emilia and beside Antonio. Antonio was trying to talk to Rosa about her rats and she happily participated in the discussion, needing a distraction from these stressful conditions.

Matheo and Pedro soon joined the table, sitting between Rosa and Dolores. Matheo was showing Pedro a sketch he had been working on, and Pedro also shared with Matheo an idea for a story that he was planning out the plot for.

Not long after, the rest of the family arrived, and dinner began.

...

"The Guzmáns and the Madrigals together will be so good for the encanto" Alma happily told Señora Guzmán who Smiled in agreement.

"Yes. Then, let's hope tonight is not a horrible disaster" Señora Guzmán joked with a laugh.

The two women were oblivious to the potential disaster just waiting to happen.

Mirabel attempted to keep intense eye contact with Dolores while Emilia silently, but anxiously, kept her attention on the both of them.

"To a perfect night!" said Alma, "Salud!"

"Salud!" Everyone cheered.

Putting forth her best effort into preventing any problems, Mirabel tried to make sure that Dolores would not say anything; causing Dolores to whimper under her cousin's intense gaze.

"Avocado?" Mariano offered suddenly, thrusting the bowl into Mirabel's face.

Mirabel quickly tossed the bowl to the side, only to realize that Dolores had already told Camilo about the prophecy.

The shock that Camilo experienced at that moment caused him to cough as he quickly shifted into Mirabel, then Bruno, before finally turning back into himself. However, upon returning to his true form, Camilo now had a face that was... different, to say the least.

"Camilo. Fix your face" Felix told his son.

Camilo complied. With a shake of his head, his face was now back to normal.

Mirabel was frozen in shock, still trying to comprehend what just happened.

Emilia realized then that Dolores kept shifting her eyes over to Pedro and Matheo.

Oh no. She was going to tell them too.

It was now Emilia's turn to stare at Dolores.

They couldn't know right now. Not like this.

"Water?" Isabela asked, offering Mirabel a pitcher of water. Mirabel promptly set it aside just as she had with the avocado.

Unfortunely, this was enough time for Camilo to tell his father what he had just been told by Dolores.

Félix was not prepared for what he heard and, in his shock, he spit out his water all over Alma, Señora Guzmán, and Mariano.

Emilia looked over at the commotion, and this provided Dolores the perfect oppourtunity to speak with Emilia's boys.

"Vafan?!" Pedro shouted in surprise at what he had just been told.