Epilogue

With Casita newly rebuilt, life returned to
normal for the Madrigals. Well, the new normal; as average as things could get for a house of magic people that just had a family member simply reappear after about a decade.

In regard to actively being a father to Matheo, Pedro, and Rosa, Bruno often turned to Emilia for advice. There was a lot to learn, after all. He would eagerly memorize his children's likes, dislikes, and other little important details that he was not already aware of.

Bruno also made a point of making sure that the triplets were given plenty of attention. Having already spent so many years in the walls, there was absolutely no way he was going to waste a single moment he had with them.

He would often evaluate Pedro's writing and give feedback on the work, while also asking questions about the plot and characters. Often, the two would create narriatives together; Those stories were Emilia's favorite to read.

Bruno could create modest pieces of art, but he was always impressed by Matheo's talent. Matheo would be flattered whenever Bruno asked him questions or requested help in regard to artistic or creative endeavors. Bruno learned so much from his son.

As for Rosa, she was probably the closest to Bruno when compared with her brothers. She would always sit beside her father at meals, and follow him around when she had spare time. No matter what, they made time everyday to feed the rats together.

Everyone else, in their own way, also made an effort to help Bruno readjust. Félix and Agustín, for example, always invited Bruno on outings. At first, it would take a little persuading to get him to leave the comfort of home, but it soon became just like old times.

Pepa and Julieta were, in a sense, extra protective of their brother. When the village initially discovered that Bruno was back, the vast majority of them tried to make him feel welcome. Unfortunately, there was a small, vocal few that made it clear they still weren't pleased with having him around, but Julieta and Pepa were quick to put them in their place.

Alma still had a long way to go in terms of personal growth, but the effort she had made thus far had helped to foster a homelife that was no longer shrouded in pressure and expectations. From time to time, Alma would slip up; However, someone would often be there to correct her.

Antonio, who had never really known much about his uncle before meeting him, learned a lot about Bruno by talking to the rats. Plenty of times, Antonio acted as a translator between the rats and his uncle, which Bruno appreciated.

Camilo loved to play pranks on Bruno, which Predro often helped with. Sometimes Emilia and Mirabel would help Bruno prank them back; much to Camilo's annoyance. What Camilo didn't mind though, was when Bruno would sneak him extra portions of food without anyone noticing. Everyone just assumed the additional food was for the rats.

Isabela was really coming into her own, after discovering just how much she was able to accomplish with her gift. She would read every single botany book she could get her hands on, searching for inspiration. Isabela had tried expanding her gift to grow vegetables, but this would require some more practice; the taste still wasn't quite right.

Luisa still worked harder than anyone else in the town; she simply liked lending a hand to others. To her credit though, she did learn how to say no; take more breaks so as not to overexert herself. She was a much happier person for it.

Dolores and Mariano were still going strong, the Madrigals already treating him like family. There were questions about having a wedding soon, but the couple informed everyone that they were taking their time.

Mirabel no longer felt unseen or underappreciated. When she had restored the magic, Alma had taken it as a sign that Mirabel was meant to eventually take over her role in protecting the candle and lifting the community. Mirabel's natural ability to be both a leader and healing presence for others is exactly what would make her most suitable for the role. With Alma's guidance, Mirabel would be certainly be ready when the time came.

And Emilia?
Even without her gift, she returned to fishing. Being one of the most experienced in that regard, Emilia was granted the responsibility of training the young adults who were displaying intrest in the profession.

Outside of work, Emilia was just happy that her family was back together again.

One evening, about half a year after Casita had been rebuilt, Bruno and Emilia were in their room preparing to turn in for the night. Bruno was sitting in bed, telling some rats and Emilia about his day. By the time Emilia joined Bruno in bed, both he and the rats were nearly asleep. Eyes still closed, Bruno wrapped his arms around Emilia, holding her tightly against his chest.

"Goodnight, mi amada" he whispered to Emilia.

"Goodnight, amor" she answered back, taking his hand and linking her fingers with his.

A comfortable silence fell as they both tried to sleep. Soon though, Bruno rolled onto his back and sat up. Emilia turned towards him in confusion.

"'Milia?" he called quietly.

"Yes? What's wrong?" Emilia asked, sitting up to face her husband.

She could just make out his worried features in the dark.

"I was gone for so long...why...did you never remarry?"

Emilia had only one true response to that.

"There were two reasons" she told Bruno. "The first was that I never stopped hoping you would return, and the second-"

She kissed him and placed her arms around his neck, bringing herself closer to him. Bruno ran a hand through Emilia's hair and continued the kiss. A short moment later, they stopped in order to catch their breath.

"- the second reason: there's only one you" she said, caressing his face.

Bruno's attention was drawn to the wedding band on Emilia's finger.

"Let's renew our vows" Bruno blurted out.

Emilia blinked in surprise.

"huh?" She asked him, not sure she heard him correctly.

"Well, I uh, I love you and I thought we could get married, again?" he explained.

Emilia, let out a small squeal, startling the rats; the tiny animals scurried away.

"-Yes! Let's do it; I love you too!" Emilia told Bruno.

She pulled him down onto the bed and they laughed, buzzing with happiness.

At that time, the future was theirs. Sure it may come with it's challenges and hardships, but there would also be joy and hope. Regardless of the outcome, they would be ready to face anything; together.

A/N: And... thats the story! I truly hope you enjoyed it:) As promised, I am now working on both the prequel and sequel at this time. I will update you all when the first chapters are released. Quick question though: Would you rather get a tiny sneak peak of each or just wait until they are both published?

Have a great Valentine's Day everyone!