Preview #2

Hi again! This is the preview for the first chapter of the prequel:) I truly hope you enjoy it.

As with the last preview, this is not at all the entirety of the first chapter, but just pieces taken from here and there.

Pepa, Emilia, Bruno, and Julieta are 15 in this chapter.

Trigger Warning?: Brief mention of violence.

...

A booming voice could be heard from the nearby crowd. From what Emilia could tell, whoever was yelling appeared to be upset about something. What was going on? Curious, she joined the tiny group that had now formed, all of them adolescents between the ages of thirteen and sixteen.

...

"It's surprising you can say so much when you don't know what the hell you're talking about!" Emilia responded, marching up to Santiago. The people surrounding them looked on nervously.

Santiago also moved forward in an act of intimidation; Emilia did not back down.

...

The sky went dark and a threatening wind also picked up, making it difficult for anyone to stand in place.

"Good job! You broke her nose, asshole!" Pepa screamed.

...

She helped Emilia off the ground and started to walk with her towards the center of town where Julieta was usually found during the day.

"Let's go" Pepa told Emilia. "Hopefully Julie has some food left."

...

Julieta was just about ready to pack up for the day, when she spotted Pepa and Emilia in the distance. Julieta gasped when she saw Emilia's now crooked nose and the faint amount of dried blood.

"What happened?!" Julieta asked the two of them, already having an empanada ready to give to Emilia.

"You won't believe it" Pepa said to Julieta, clasping a hand on Emilia's shoulder, "This one decided it would be a good idea to pick a fight with Santiago."

"You're kidding" responded Julieta, handing the snack to Emilia.

Emilia bit into the food, her nose instantly healing along with the bruises that had began to form under her eyes.

...

Thanks, i'm all good now" Emilia said.

As if to prove it, she roughly poked the bridge of her nose.

Julieta smiled softly.

"I'm glad you defended my brother" Julieta said. "But please, be more careful."

...

"Why would she do that?" Bruno asked Pepa, astonished. He was aware of what people thought of him; he had grown used to this...hostility long ago.

However, to learn that Emilia was willing to do sometting like that...

...

Bruno released her from the hug.

"Emilia maybe just let them say what they want about me; I'm fi...it's fine. It is fine" Bruno said.

In response to his ridiculous request, Emilia smiled and  ruffled his hair. He playfully shooed her away, his face turning a light shade of pink.

"No way; You don't deserve that" she told him.

...

"He went to do what?!" Emilia screeched.

That idiot was going to get his ass kicked if he actually tried to confront Santiago.

"I tried to stop him, but he was so persistent! I've never seen him so worked up before" Julieta said.

"Well, he will have to listen to the three us; what are we waiting for?!" Emilia asked, pulling Julieta and Pepa along with her.

...

"You're just lucky we managed to get here in time!" Pepa scolded her brother, hands on her hips. "What were you thinking? The problem was already delt with!"

...

"Be honest; do you think I have a chance with her?"  Enrique asked Bruno.

They both looked over to where Emilia was finishing gutting and cleaning the last batch of fish for the day.

...

Its not like Bruno cared...right? Why would it matter to him if Emilia wanted to date Enrique?

...

"Hmmm, maybe you could tell me one of your stories?" Emilia suggested.

Bruno smiled; He had been working on a new one he'd written as a surprise for her.  Now was as good of a time as any to read it to her, he supposed.

...

"Are you saying you don't remember me...brother?!" Bruno read to Emilia, putting on his most dramatic and deepest of voices.

She gasped in shock.

"An evil sibling?!" she exclaimed in surprise.

...

"What did you think of the part where-" Bruno asked, looking towards Emilia.

Bruno paused when he realized that she had fallen asleep while he was reading. She looked so peaceful; he didn't want to wake her back up. He would just have to ask for her opinion on the story tomorrow. He quietly, so as not to wake Emilia up, tried to make his way towards the door. He was close to it, when he suddenly tripped on a bag Emilia had left lying around, sending him falling forward into the stream that ran through her room.