Chapter 11

Prince Liam of Alleba's last words rang incessantly in Kayden's head.

"I'm not here to hurt you Kayden. And I promise that I will never, intentionally, ever hurt you."

Maybe he'd said Rem, but Kayden had managed to substitute that part for his name. It made the meaning of the words so much deeper. Something warm and fuzzy also wrapped around him every time he thought of the annoyingly persistent prince.

Perhaps this is what being seen, at least partially, in the light felt like.

If so, Kayden never wanted to leave. He never wanted the shadow boy to come back.

It had taken him a while to convince his siblings that he would be fine, and would be performing on Thursday no matter what they said.

Yvonne was the first to surrender, while Uriel was the last.

His triplet siblings did care about him, more than they'd wanted to admit. Erica was practically crying when he finally told them everything about Prince Liam.

"You might hate him, but I can see what you don't." She'd fanned her eyes and spoken in a watery voice.

"The relationship is #goals!" Yvonne had added, in an equally unstable voice.

Kayden had turned to Uriel for an explanation, only to see Uriel nodding along with Erica and Yvonne.

"Yes, I suppose you could say that."

Kayden had no idea what they meant and decided it would be too much work to demand an acceptable explanation. Throughout the day at school, his siblings were with him more.

They seemed to realize ignoring him had been a bad idea.

That didn't mean he didn't have things to work on as well. He was around them more, and they were all closer.

In other words, he had to be less grumpy.

Which, after spending hours and hours in a school, surrounded by idiotic teenagers without magic, could be a very difficult thing to accomplish.

But Kayden managed. The triplets were one thing above all others.

Accepting.

In fact, as he'd eventually figured out, Yvonne and Erica were now heartily shipping him with the annoying prince, even though such a thing could never happen.

Right?

Anyway, at the current moment, Liam was not what he should've been worried about. What he was infinitely more worried about was Lizzie's revenge. He'd rescheduled a concert on the fly, and she was probably plotting a very painful demise for him.

Aka, a journalist ambush.

He'd answer a maximum of three questions before using his pro ninja siren skills to find a way to flip over all of their heads and run away.

Running away was always the best way to avoid someone without committing some type of assault.

Speaking of...

"No! Yvonne you can't do that!" Erica hissed at Yvonne, who was fingering a very pointed pencil like a miniature javelin.

"Says the girl who once threw a stapler at his face." Yvonne replied with a glare, fixated on a point, or rather, a person behind Erica.

They were in the lunchroom, and Erica, Kayden, and Uriel had been peacefully sitting when Yvonne had shown up.

And she was furious.

"He stole my test answers. And the human saying is an eye for an eye so..." Yvonne trailed off suggestively.

"No!" Erica hissed, trying to grab at the pencil, which Yvonne jerked away.