Chapter 19

A/N: Picture of Kayden and Liam again! (I think this one's my fave) ^^ Also! I'm going to say... 15 and up? Disregard the age if you want, but don't come at me. If you would like to skip the steamy spice, skip the words bracketed by /// and ///

Friday had arrived.

And Kayden wasn't sure if he was a nervous wreck, or just thrilled.

It was Princess Willow's birthday, and Prince Liam would be picking him up at five to drive to the palace.

He'd be performing outside, in the most public part of the huge palace gardens. Commander Samson and a bunch of other palace guards would be there to keep things safe for both him and the royal family.

But Kayden wasn't really worried about that.

He was infinitely more terrified of the royal family themselves.

He'd really only met Prince Liam. Princess Willow, Queen Natalie, and King Typhan were all unknown to him.

Not to mention, he was completely rebelling against his parents.

He'd rebelled against them before by becoming Oceania Remembered, keeping in contact with the Prince of Alleba, and now dating the Prince of Alleba. But the final step in his full defection from siren norms and self-preservation would be to meet the royal family.

Specifically, the King.

He didn't know much about King Typhan. Lizzie refused to talk about him for long periods of time.

Yes. It was the unknown that was frightening him.

It's all an overreaction. You'll be fine. Everything's going to be fine. When has a concert ever gone wrong?

Never.

So stop fretting about, pull yourself together, and pack your things.

He had just finished tying his converse and illusioning them crimson red when there was a knock on his bedroom door.

He threw another illusion over his all-black attire, making it seem like he was actually wearing a light blue shirt and shorts before opening the door.

Erica was standing there, her hair up in curlers and glittery nail polish drying on her fingers.

Kayden leaned backward at the smell. He couldn't stand the stench of nail polish. It made him feel lightheaded.

"Are you really going to the dance, Kayden? Be honest for once. There won't be any judgement I promise." She said quietly, looking away and not meeting his eyes.

Kayden left his door open and walked back to sit on his bed, dropping the illusion over his outfit.

"No, Erica. Although I suspect I'm going to a dance I'm not going to the dance."

Erica nodded, acceptance in every plane of her face.

"I should've known after Prince Liam left and you said you lied and that you were going, you changed your mind too easily. You're quite stubborn at times, you know?"

Kayden's lips quirked into a half-smile. "I know."

"Just... have fun, ok? And don't do anything stupid." Erica fixed him with a slight glare and he shrugged.

"I never do anything stupid on purpose. It just happens!"

"Sure it does."

Kayden glared at the blatant sarcasm she responded with. Erica quickly changed the subject as soon as she saw it.