Chapter 21

A/N: Mareena Ursing is above ^

Liam could not believe what had just happened.

His father had unmasked his boyfriend and carted him off to a holding cell in the dungeons, for safekeeping until he could be tried by the state for hypnotism of the Crown Prince and Princess.

At least, that's what the charge would be.

Liam had collapsed shortly after Commander Samson had left with Kayden.

Ashton supported him and got him to sit on a chair before he hurt himself.

"A siren." Liam mumbled, repeating it over and over to himself.

How did I not see it before?!

The way Kayden was so tightlipped about trivial things, the way he feared the king, the way he tried to push Liam away... most of it still didn't make sense. But Liam knew that this was the missing piece to explain why.

But now Kayden's management of a crowd made sense. His songs were always so amazing and borderline hypnotic because they actually had the potential to be hypnotic.

And the salt in the water.

Liam couldn't believe it.

The signs had been there, but he'd dismissed them. Sirens didn't exist. They were myths and legends, created to explain why the royal family had been slaughtered centuries ago.

But now, he wasn't so sure.

Kayden couldn't pay the price of their fear. Liam had brought him here. If anything, it was all his fault.

Liam steadily came back from his not-so-happy cloud when Ashton sharply squeezed his shoulder.

He blinked, realizing how stupid he'd been.

It didn't truly matter who or what Kayden was. It had never mattered.

What mattered was that his boyfriend was imprisoned, and he'd been very unhelpful in even remotely standing up for him.

Liam pushed himself to his feet and walked without feeling toward his father.

But before he could get there, Willow joined him and started yelling at their father.

"You ruined my birthday! How could you?! That was Rem, and you've destroyed him when he didn't even do anything! I HATE YOU!"

She ran back into the palace, sobbing. Liam abruptly changed course, bolting after his sister, along with Ashton, Fiona, and Lilliana.

"Willow!"

She didn't stop until she reached a deserted library on the sixth floor. She angrily threw herself down on a couch that was against a window, and buried her face in her hands, sobbing loudly.

Fiona and Ashton sat next to her on the couch, while Liam obsessively paced back and forth.

Lilliana sat calmly on the floor wiggling her feet, her sneakers sitting on the floor beside her.

"I told you he was a siren." She said, seemingly to no one in particular.

"Lili, that's not very helpful now." Ashton mumbled.

Lilliana looked confused. "Why is everybody so upset Ash?"

Liam was about to shout at her until he realized the girl was only five. He went back to pacing while Ashton explained and Fiona tried to comfort Willow.

"Because the king did something very bad. He had the guards capture Oceania Remembered and put him in jail when he didn't do anything wrong. Also-"

"Well then we should go get him out." Lili said simply.