Chapter 22

A/N: Picture of Princess Willow^

Liam stepped out of the library with Ashton, Willow, Fiona, and Lilliana, and paused immediately.

It was quiet.

Too quiet.

Something was wrong. Very wrong.

Strangely enough, Lilliana seemed to think the exact same thing. The moment they stepped outside the library, her face paled drastically, and she clapped her hands over her mouth, hyperventilating.

"Lili!"

Fiona and Ashton dropped down by her side, she shook her head.

"No! Don't go! You can't go."

"Why?!" Liam barely refrained from glaring at the little girl. "Kayden is stuck and he needs us. We have to help him."

"No!" Lili insisted. She turned around and ran back into the library, disappearing amongst the shelves.

Fiona looked torn while Ashton just looked troubled.

"Something's wrong." They said at the same time.

"Nice to know I'm not insane." Liam mumbled.

Willow sighed. "Of course, something's wrong! Dad made a scene and ruined my party. The guests probably had a bad reaction and left, which is why it's so quiet. We should just go."

Fiona turned to Ashton. "I'm staying here, with Lilliana. I can't leave her by herself, and I know she won't leave the library."

Ashton nodded, pulling Fiona into a hug and leaving a kiss on her temple. "We'll be right back."

Fiona went back into the library, and they started running down the hallway, with Liam in the lead.

They made it to the fourth floor before they saw anybody.

A troop of guards, marching down the hallway towards them, oddly in sync, and with strange looks on their faces. Liam paused, and his sister and best friend followed suit.

He opened his mouth to call out to them, when suddenly someone's hand wrapped around his head and covered his lips, muffling his shout as they pulled him into an abandoned parlor and shut the door.

Liam spun around to see Commander Samson, standing in front of the door and staring at them like they were the most idiotic fools he'd ever met.

"What do you think you're doing?!" He hissed, and Liam was suddenly very afraid. Fear lingered behind Samson's eyes.

Commander Samson never showed fear. He'd been a guard too long and been through and survived the trickiest of situations.

Liam realized something way worse than unhappy guests making a scene had occurred.

"If you must know," Willow folded her arms defiantly, lifting her chin in the air, making herself look taller. "We were going to see Kayden Kestral. You know, the boy you threw into a holding cell for no fucking reason!"

Liam raised his eyebrows at his sister. She never swore, and it was mostly forbidden by their mother. Queen Natalie was known for wincing anytime anyone swore in her presence. Why? Liam had no idea.

Samson was only subtly affected by Willow's anger, but Liam could see the grimace.

"Yes, I do regret that now. But at the time, I was concerned for your safety! You must understand, he's a siren. Sirens and the royal family do not mix very well."

Liam thought of all the times when Kayden had finally somewhat opened up, even allowing Liam to date him. He thought of all the kisses Kayden had given him freely, with enough passion but also control, to say the words he would or could not.