Chapter 18

Liam was finding it was actually quite difficult to hide birthday plots from his sister.

She was naturally curious and nosy, and she could always tell when he was hiding something.

Which was impressive and also a severe disadvantage for him.

His phone vibrated, and he stopped by a window on the fourth floor, pulled out his phone, unlocked it, and looked at the text message he'd been sent a few minutes earlier.

Kayden (BF): What color should my shoes be this time?

Liam hadn't answered it because he had no idea why Kayden was asking him.

But now... he just couldn't hold back from texting his boyfriend, missing him completely.

I was thinking maybe some kind of red because you cycled mostly through all of the cool colors first. How many pairs of converse do you own anyway?

Three dots appeared, and Liam almost dropped his phone. It was the worst feeling ever, the anticipation in between the typing icon and actually receiving a message. Of course, after receiving the message, he subconsciously sighed in relief and smiled widely.

Kayden (BF): Let me guess... red's your fave color?

Liam almost replied yes, until he remembered the eyes that had captured him from the first time he'd seen them. And recently recaptured him again when he'd been able to see them up close.

No actually. I think my favorite color is blue.

Liam knew that if Kayden had been next to him, he'd be able to stare at him long enough and figure out exactly what the truth was.

Oh, the advantages of texting.

And then Liam realized Kayden hadn't answered the second question.

You never said how many pairs of converse you have.

Kayden (BF): Enough.

Liam narrowed his eyes at his phone. Despite knowing a great deal more about Kayden and Oceania Remembered, Liam had learned his boyfriend could be tight-lipped about the strangest things.

What's that supposed to mean? 1? 2? 12? One for every color of the rainbow plus white and black?

Kayden (BF): Yeah... something like that.

Liam rolled his eyes and pocketed his phone. That still did not answer his question... at all. It was still too vague.

Alright, keep your secrets, love. Just know that I'll get them eventually.

Willow came running around the corner, and as soon as she spotted him, she threw her arms around his shoulders.

Liam reached out for the wall to steady himself. "Hey Willow. What's up?"

"Fiona called! She said she's coming over Friday! That's tomorrow! And she didn't say anything before. It's short notice but who cares?"

Liam was surprised. "You're sure?"

Willow nodded enthusiastically. "Yes! I know she and Ashton were just here, but they said they were coming Friday. I'm so excited I want to start screaming!"

"Please don't." Liam groaned. "Not within hearing distance. You know Samson will somehow hear and storm the entire palace looking for you."

Willow pouted. "But that's the funniest part."

"No Willow. Come on, we have to go meet the new advisor Dad picked. They should be arriving soon."

Willow made a face. "Why'd Mareena have to be a traitor? Things would be so much better for everybody if she wasn't. Especially Samson. Poor Commander, he's losing his mind over how she escaped her holding cell."