Chapter Three: A Unexpected Encounter

Editor Note
Messed with the first 2 chapters in order to expand the storyline further! Happy reading!
-RandomWriter225

KANE POV

I rebooted an instant, feeling fresh after getting out of the colony. My internal clock told me that it was 7:30, around the time school would be starting. I removed my 'cover' and stood on my metallic bed. I decided to continue exploring the ruins of this area and went to the back to draw a map. Soon, I had a crude map of the area and the colony doors, and I turned to the exit, only to see a murder drone in my peripheral optics. It had silver hair, was just as tall as Peter, and was awake, staring right at me.

"You are finally awake! Man, workers sleep way too long." started a robotic voice coming from the murderous drone.

"It's for the better of us, I guess. By the way, why exactly did you not kill me in my sleep?" I asked, just wanting to get this over with, but not as urgently as when he exited the doors.

"I was confused myself, why on Copper 9 would you want to die?!" It asked a confused face on its neon yellow visor. "Also, why are you not terrified of me? You look like you are done with everything!"

"Sometimes, your living situation gets so bad that you do not see the pointing living," I replied, as deadpan as possible.

"I never knew that! Interesting." The killer drone stated, before continuing. "The name is L, by the way."

"Kane. I guess nice to meet you, L." I replied, before getting up and heading outside, only to be stopped by something holding him back.

"Careful, others are hunting outside." L noted, before pulling Kane back inside the store. I agreed to stay here, then headed over to the area where a cash register was sitting. A remnant of a corpse was there, leaning against the wall, dead. I decided to get the locked cupboards open, but could not, as they were jammed as well as locked. I nearly jumped when L asked if I needed help. I accepted, and she just disintegrates the cabinet with her nanites! I was surprised, not at how effortless that was, but what was inside the cabinet. It was a set of worker cores, all primed and ready to be used. I decided to check if there were any other things around, leaving L at the counter.

L POV

I picked up one of the cores and looked at them. They seemed to eternally glow with different colours. I realized that there were no yellow cores, which would probably be a good thing for those workers. I decided to check on Kane, and he exited a newfound cellar, interest visible in his expression list.

"There is a ton of data servers down there!" Kane remarked, interested in the tons of data that could be contained in them. "We have got to get some sort of monitor hooked up to these!"

"Interesting! Hey, Kane, can I ask you a question?" I asked, to which he said that he could probably answer it. "Why exactly did you want to die?"

"Well, my parents were killed by the Murder Drones when they arrived. The only reason I am not trying to attack you right now is that someone else killed them. Nobody at my school liked me at all. They even cheered on Jenny, Peter, and Dan when they threw a book at me in lunch. I had to hide in a crate to not get potentially stabbed by them!" Kane replied, his trauma finally revealed to me.

I was both surprised and pissed. How could one's kind drive them to die on purpose to stop suffering!? I killed drones before, but they did not have any emotional baggage with them! Kane's future could have been destroyed by his colony!

"Hey, L, are you alright?" Kane asked, noticing me thinking. Without a second thought, I hugged Kane tightly. He probably needed it, after being an orphan for his entire school career. He was surprised at first but slowly hugged me back. After an indeterminate amount of time, he released me, thanking me for the hug.

"Hey, Kane, can you tell me about your school?" I asked. Kane sat down on the counter, and I sat beside him. "Do not worry, I do not plan on murdering your entire colony," I assured him, to which he said that he did not have any connection to them, and would be fine with me slaughtering everyone. That was when he started speaking.

"Well, I had Math, History, Science, and LA today. I managed to complete all my tasks in the classes except history." Kane replied, intriguing me.

"What do you have to do in history?" I asked, to which Kane answered that "I have to make a project about the Murder Drones, and a timeline of when they arrived."

"Funnily enough, we could probably score some kills if you did that history project. If you made a video with me in it, no doubt someone would venture outside that we could kill!" I responded, my visor displaying a large yellow X while I was saying all of that.

"Hey L, why exactly do you need to kill worker drones?" Kane asked, with a hint that he always wondered this.

"To avoid overheating and dying, mostly," I replied, knowing my answer. For a second he looked into my eyes, and sensed that I want to do the history project, and sighed.

"You know what, we can do the history project. It will give some closure to the nonexistent few who missed me, we can send in a remote video, and you get to live longer! It is a win-win!" Kane told me, with my fans overclocking at realizing that we could get so much oil!

"By the way, who are Dan, Peter, and Jenny?" I asked, with a wondering look on my visor.

"They run the school using fear, and they were the main source of torment for me. Dan was reportedly involved in a murder, and Peter and Jenny are a couple." Kane replied.

G POV

Where was L? She had been taking forever to get back, and she did not leave any messages for us. L could hold her ground, but she was often too determined for her good. I asked A if I could go check on her, to which he replied that I could check the area out. With that, I unfurled my wings and headed to where her tracker said she was. I knew that A would be tracking me, as we all had trackers embedded in ourselves in case of an emergency. The spire soon vanished from behind me, and I was engulfed in a white cloud of snow.