Chapter Eight: Arrivals, Alliances, and Adversaries

Editor Note
500 reads! What an achievement! Thank you all a much for reading my content! Happy Reading!
-RandomWriter225

L POV

"So, do you want to elaborate on yesterday?" A asked, wondering how Kane felt about leaving someone for dead.

"I have mixed feelings. On one hand, I did not want to get captured again, and on the other hand, there was a probably better way to resolve this." Kane answered, trying to avoid the real meaning of the question.

"You know that was not what A meant." I countered, sitting on the cross beams holding the roof up.

"I really do not want to talk about it." Kane deflected, as he taped up a cardboard box. I saw Kane exit our base, followed by G. I and A immediately went to the door to eavesdrop.

G POV

I could tell Kane was debating something internally, and I had to help him out.

"Hey G, is it alright if I admit something to you?" Kane asked me, which only interested me further.

"Yeah," I answered, secretly really wanting to know.

"I... enjoyed killing that guard. I am probably not supposed to feel this way, but this is how I feel..." Kane revealed, clearly unhappy about it.

"You DO live with three murder drones, so I am not surprised our habits are rubbing off on you," I replied, trying to make Kane feel better.

"Good point. It just felt GREAT when I saw the light fade from that guy's eyes. The pain he must have felt when he was drunk dry alive!" Kane stated, his vision temporarily showed some errors. I could tell his code was changing in ways it was absolutely never intended to. L and A came over to us, trying to help Kane out. L seemed interested, but A seemed concerned.

"Tell me, Kane, do you regret killing that worker?" A asked inquisitively, waiting for a response.

"Not really. I had to help you three escape, and I was not going to let a guard erase our progress." Kane replied, confidently.

"It is official. Kane, you have likely activated a bug in your code by hanging out with us! It is present in all workers, a theory I have not confirmed until now!" A declared, a hint of excitement coming from his voicebox.

"Interesting, I guess. But wh-" Kane asked before being interrupted by what appeared to be a red meteorite falling through the sky.

"Why does that look like the pod at the spire?" Kane asked, confused at the turn of events.

"Because it is..." L, A, and I said at the same time, worry visible on our faces.

Search Team POV

"I cannot believe it! We are heading back out there AGAIN!" Jenny yelled, enraged at being covered in mountain gear again.

"I agree, but the Headmaster will pay us well for it," Peter stated, also tired, as he opened the door. The door closed as soon as they exited, and they immediately saw a plume of smoke coming from the opposite direction of where they first captured Kane and the Murder Drones. After a ton of walking, they finally arrived at what appeared to be a pod, like the one at the spire. The impact crater was deep and had an ominous look to it. The door suddenly flew off, and three other drones climbed out, looking directly at them.

"I think we have visitors!" started the unnamed drone, in a sarcastic voice. "Tell me, why are you here when a different pod already crashed here?"

"We need help finding a specific worker drone," Dan replied, seemingly overconfident.
"We can probably get you all some corpses from our cold storage."

"Deal it is. If you can't provide us with corpses, you will BE the corpses." growled a different unnamed drone, already tired of talking to them. "By the way, the name is C, that is F, and she is W."

A POV

Workers were surprisingly light. Probably to help with bridges, but even when they were filled with oil, they were close to weightless. Or, at least, that was Kane, as I held him as me, L, and G headed over the new crash site. Our landing was rough, but we each got up, our clothes soaked in frozen water. We hid behind a destroyed section of concrete and peered down to the crash site. Three familiar workers were speaking with three other drones about something.

"That's Dan, Peter, and Jenny! The fact that they are speaking with those drones means that they captured us before!" Kane whispered, shocked at the discovery.

"At least we got the targets that we need to eliminate." L countered, clearly ready to murder them.

"This will be fun!" Kane replied, his visor flashing yellow for under a second, something which G noticed.

"That bug in the code is definitely affecting you." G stated, a mix of happiness and worry on his face. Before he could say anything, the group decided to head back to the base, Kane begrudgingly joining them.

"Hey, are there any corpses around here?" Kane asked me, to which I replied that there were a few.  When I inquired as to why, Kane replied that he needed some metal for a project.

"I am thinking of building a weapon, in case those drones come over here while you are hunting. I want it to have a deadly punch, but also be a handheld weapon."

"What about a minigun?" I asked, to which Kane replied that while that could be good, he hoped for more. He went back to digging through a box, till he found a box with a metal spike sticking out of it. A handheld radio!

"What is that?" L asked inquisitively

"It is a radio! Looks like one used for communications between different people during when this place was alive." informed Kane

"Let's use it! Kane, how do you use this?" G asked with excitement.

"Plug it into the wall. Or in this specific circumstance, the power supply underneath the monitor." Kane responded as he plugged the radio in. "Hey, there's a video signal coming from it!"

"What does that mean?" L and A asked, intrigued. Before they could say more, Kane had already connected the projector with the radio, and a image appeared. A HUMAN was sitting at a desk, a large workstation with glowing buttons visible behind him. Ironically, the video camera on the monitors showed Kane and all three murder drones.

"DRONES?!" yelled the shocked human

"HUMAN!?" screamed all four of the drones at the same time.