Chapter Eleven: Suprising Sadness

L POV

All five of us, uncertainty visible in our expressions, turned toward the door. A murder drone was in the doorway, claws and wings out, ready to kill something.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here? Three murder drones, a Worker, and a human!" cackled the unnamed drone, an X on his visor. I was about to charge the drone when a question popped in my processing circuits.

"What exactly is so special about you that you think that you can criticize us?" Stacey asked, anger visible on her face.

"Well, I can regenerate any damage for one, I have a literal explosive cannon and rockets as well as your armaments." answered the unnamed drone.

"Well, are you going to kill us or..." Kane asked before being interrupted by the drone, stating that "Yeah, I probably will now. But how exactly did you get these disassembly drones on your side?" the drone asked, confused.

"Here we go again..." Kane replied as he sat down on a set of boxes, and started speaking.

Later...

"And we all live together apparently!" Kane finished, tired of telling this story again.

"While that is sad, it isn't sad enough to trigger a bug in my code. Time to die!" yelled the drone as he charged all five of us. Kane went to grab his gun as we all took ours out and started shooting. With a bit of effort, we got the drone outside, and I and G provided cover fire, while A went on the offence. Stacey grabbed a box and threw it on the drone, temporarily blinding him. Blinding him enough that Kane could fire up his minigun and destroy the drone. Nothing was left, except for the torso. Kane immediately grabbed a crowbar and took out the regeneration system, which was just a grey canister connected to a splitter. L, G, and A went out to hunt Workers, while Kane and Stacey headed inside, wondering what Kane was doing. He soon set the canister on the counter, and Stacey went to her new bed, which she set up earlier. It was a sort of cot, and it was placed near the window of the storefront. Stacey decided to lie down and get some sleep, while Kane sifted through some more files. After a bit, Stacey came over and sat down with Kane.

Stacey POV

"Say, Stacey, how did you get here?" Kane asked to create a conversation.

"A space pod took me here." I deflected, really hoping to not talk about this part of my past.

"That isn't what I mean." countered Kane, suddenly interested in the question.

"I was supposed to be sitting at the earth, having dinner, while my twin was supposed to be dead in space..." I revealed, tears starting to form in my eyes. Kane placed a cold metallic arm
around me, which was ironic, since this was supposed to be a warm gesture.

"If you ever need to unload any emotional baggage or anything, you can talk to me," Kane told as he hugged me.

"My parents, they were going to send my twin to space to die! They wanted an only child, so when they had twins, they decided to give one up for the space program..." I whispered, my composure completely broken at this point, as I sobbed into Kane's shoulder. "The sadness when my twin looked at me horrified when my damn parents decided to throw my twin away! I threw my future away, to spite my parents for what they did! I switched places with my twin, and they took me away, dragging and screaming! It was only luck the rocket blew apart in space and the pod crashed here!" I was essentially a nervous wreck, and Kane hugged me, trying to stop me from crying. I soon calmed down and thanked Kane for helping me through that hard time.

"YOU KILLED C! GET READY TO DIE!" yelled a murder drone, enraged.

"Not again..." both of us whined as Kane bolted for his minigun.

G POV

A and L were sitting on some packed snow, drinking from a worker. We had finished our hunting, and we were about to head home. A snowstorm was passing through the area, and we hoped that Kane and Stacey would hold out in the Base. We looked to where the Base was and saw bright white snow.

"Snow isn't supposed to be glowing, right?" I asked as I looked toward the wall of moving snow, which appeared to be glowing all of a sudden. Even the clouds appeared to be glowing.

"The only this would happen if a pattern of compressed energy... was fired in bursts into the clouds..." A replied, all of a sudden realizing what was happening.

"Oh my God!" L yelled as she unfurled her wings, as we did.

"Kane!" I yelled as I prepare to take off. Before I could jump, the glow soon grew brighter, and the clouds above appeared to explode violently, causing the snowstorm to appear to dissipate instantly as sparks filled the air. As soon as the clouds were far apart, we instantly dove for the Base. We saw smoke pouring out of the front, and Kane holding his hand, pain visible on his face. Stacey was standing near a red-hot minigun, the heat nearly melting the barrels of it. The remains of a murder drone were embedded in the permafrost, while the debris from the whole block stayed together in a delicate structure.

All three of us landed near Kane and were shocked to him his entire hand missing, destroyed by the explosion. Kane was not even screaming, he just went through the window to the canister.

"How exactly do we use these regenerating nanites?" Kane asked in a strained voice.

"It says that you have to just expose the wound to them." A stated as I grabbed Kane's arm and placed it in the canister. "It apparently takes a few seconds."

"The whole canister is now empty, and... my hand is stuck?" Kane replied, the pain is gone but his hand was now stuck. His hand should have been able to slide out of the canister easily, but it was stuck. Kane threw his arm back and slammed the canister on the counter. It careened off the counter back into Kane's visor. I tried to slice the canister open, but all it did was blunt my claws. A tried to hit it with a hammer, but the hammer broke. L tried to use her nanites to disintegrate the canister, but that also failed. Stacey ran outside and grabbed a set of machine spreaders, and successfully broke the canister from the inside. Kane took his hand out, and we were all shocked.

"I have a DISASSEMBLY DRONE'S HAND?!" Kane yelled, completely shocked.