Chapter 24 - Last night together

Sara's POV

"And this isn't too much? I mean it's just a private dinner", I nervously asked my head servant who was scanning me above my shoulder, twirling around in front of the mirror. Unsurely, I ran my hands down the red tight dress, brushing over my growing stomach that was not hidden in this outfit.

"It's not our definition of classy", Anne-Marie proclaimed yet she still nodded in approval, tidying up the room as I unsurely glanced at myself in the mirror

"The neckline sure isn't."

"That is indeed right, Madame. But it is your husband you want to appeal to, so I thought of more... exiting dresses."

Nice way to go around sexy.

"But my stomach..."

"Sieur seems so in love with your pregnancy I made the assumption he would quite enjoy that aspect", Anne-Marie put the other dresses away. "I have other options but I do not think he would approve of them."

I turned around to her slightly and she smiled. "Madame, if I may: you are beautiful."

I fully turned to her and ignored my reflection for now. It was ok Sara, your body was beautiful. You are beautiful. She said so herself.

... You are beautiful. I'll say it 10 times more for me to believe it!

... Why was this easier to believe when my French man flirtingly told me that?

"Merci", I glanced over my shoulder and sighed softly. My scars weren't visible at least in this dress. And the slit on the leg was on the one Noah hadn't stabbed.

A sharp pain jolted up from my leg and I closed my eyes. Swallowed hard. Half expecting to see the little dark room I had been held captive in I slowly opened my arms. Please don't look at me. Please don't smile that wicked smile at me. Please don't force yourself onto me.

Suddenly a tight grip seemed to find its way to my body. I forced myself to breathe and ignored my shaking hands. Our guest bedroom greeted me. Anne-Marie sat at the bed and looked at me. We were safe. He is in jail, rotting away. You are safe. They are locked up. You are safe. You are not tied up. You are safe. You are not forced to do anything against your will. You are safe.

I was standing in my house. Not in the company. Not on that floor.

You are alive and living. You are married and pregnant with two babies. You are safe. Your family is safe. Michael, mum, dad, Emma, grandma, grandpa, Leon, Becca, Adrien, Estelle, Sara, Jess, Philipp, Nina, Clarissa. "The bodyguards?", my voice was shaking so much it broke.

Breathe.

"Are right outside your door. Should I get them?"

Breathe. "Security cameras?" Breathe.