Chapter 4 - We are what?

Marthe's POV

The old staircase creaked heavily as one footstep after the other sounded. They stopped for a long time, then sounded again. I checked the clock above me. 8 am.

"For you to still be here", I didn't need to turn around to know it was my husband who had just come downstairs. I went for one more egg and scrambled it in the pan. It was highly unusual for Victor to be here on a Monday morning. Usually he left at the crack of dawn for his job. "Shouldn't you be in Paris to collect the taxes?"

"I postponed it", Victor pressed a kiss on my neck. "to be with you." Victor set the table for us as he teased me.

I rolled my eyes with a smile. "You know such silly flirting has no effect on me - why are you still here, mon cher?"

"What if I really wanted to be here?", Victor opened the newspaper and immediately went to the business section.

"Because not even the devil could make you stay at home on a working day", I put the eggs on his plate and put my hands onto my hips. "So?"

"Michael and Sara are flying home today. It's time I pass over the titles to the rightful owners", Victor put down the newspaper and eyed me fondly. "Since when have you not given me a good morning kiss?"

I reached for the kitchen cloth but Victor caught my hand, drawing it to his lips.

"You silly buffoon", I reached down and gave him the kiss he wanted.

"Hmm, makes staying home worth it", he grinned and I softly slapped the back of his head. "You were always hard to flirt with."

"I'm not the sort to grow weak to silly nothings", I shot him a look over my shoulder and got the coffee pot for us.

"I know - that's why I love you."

"What did you do?"

"I might have forgotten to mow the lawn and to take out the trash", Victor quickly flashed me a smile.

"Well, then I know what you will do today."

"Oh the cold tone. No back talk." He smiled wide. "You know, thinking about our boy has made me recall our wedding at the barn."

"It was more a disaster than a wedding", I commented, taking my seat.

Victor covered his hand with mine. "For me it was a day of success. I married you."

I raised a brow at him. "Has the wedding made you grow nostalgic?"

"No, it reminded me of how lucky I've gotten", Victor leaned forward and kissed me, much to my surprise. "Can I take you out for lunch tomorrow?"

"That would mean you would have to drive from Paris all the way to the Provence!"

"I could call in sick."

"I love the sound of that." I leaned forward and kissed him.

"Good, then it's set", my husband gave me a lovely smile. "And because you've asked - I just keep on thinking back to the wedding, and the picture on the staircase just replays it in my head."

"You always stop to look at it", I brushed his hand and nudged him to eat. It was a picture of our Michael and our Sara on their wedding day, January 23rd, arm in arm, smiling happily into the camera, both their eyes shining away.

"I'm just glad he found somebody proper. It was long time Michael became his old self again."

"He was always the one that worried you most out of all the children", I couldn't hide the smile. My love had also been the strictest to him, wanting our Michael to grow into a proper man.