Chapter 15- New territory

Sara's POV

The uneasy feeling that came after the call with Christine and Hector stayed embedded in my stomach, immediately returning stronger after I had disconnected the call with mum.

Maybe it was childish of me to call her immediately, maybe I should have kept this matter between Michael and I - god knows we can talk about anything to each other; honesty, no matter how painful, was important to the both of us. We had learned from several miscommunications and we knew this was the only proper way to hold up a relationship.

I gnawed on my lips. I don't know if I should tell him my concerns immediately. Those horror MIL stories from reddit crept forward from the back of my mind and got me close to tears - was Christine one of those women? Would I be posting on that subreddit soon, asking for help?

"Jesus H. Christ!", Michael sighed heavily upon stepping into our bedroom, running his hands through his hair and twisting his lips disappointingly.

I felt a bit better seeing him ... not lonely with my problem anymore, as weird as it sounded. But the way he cursed and paced around ... it was a sight that made my stomach turn only more. I knew it far too well. From nights he woke up crying, from nightmares, stalking around and cursing his parents until he grew hoarse.

I thought I had helped him fix his past, that he had fixed his relationship with them, but nothing in life came easy and I should have known. One occasion of them not fighting shouldn't have made me think everything was perfect now. There would be many, many more fights, arguments, accusations, discussions and tears before they reached a truce.

So, drop it for now Sara. Don't make him worry more. He is already worried about your fatigue and nausea. No need to add more to that pile. No need to damage a broken bond even more. I shoved my heavy feelings away and met my husband's bright eyes.

"How is it that I get rid of one crazy mother only to get another one!?"

"Michael don't speak like that about her", I softly chided, my words interrupted by a yawn. The shock had drained all energy out me and the bed was only getting more comfortable as the seconds passed by ... I just wanted to sleep the sudden change of events away.

"Don't tell me that when I saw the pure fear in your eyes when she screeched at us!", my husband accused, pointing his finger at me.

"I just ... that's not the Christine I met at my wedding, it took me by surprise to hear and see her like that."

"Honestly if she doesn't feel remorse over breaking up a family then I'm not surprised she would act like this now!", Michael bit, then shook his head. "No, I'm done getting angry over those two! Enough is enough!"

"I never thought I would say this but thank you for putting her into her place like that", I put my head down, yawning again. He will suggest approaching them when he's ready, and I will accept that. In the past I had and I will do so always again. "If you want to talk, you know where I am."

My husband stopped pacing around. He breathed in through his nose, his hard expression growing into a sad smile. "I know. You are always there for me."

He opened his mouth - and I shook my head. "Don't feel guilty for bringing this topic up again. I'm by your side through thick and thin, no matter how many times we'll talk about it."

"Thank you, mon amour."

"Good. Join me for a nap?"

Michael shifted on his legs, still fuming, but ultimately his mind reasoned and he joined me, drawing the covers over us. "But after the nap you'll eat something."