Chapter 26 - Butterflies

May 30th

Michael's POV

14th week of pregnancy

The last Saturday of May was Mother's day.

Fête des Mêres, as we call it.

And it was today.

I glanced over my shoulder and slowly creeped out of bed to not wake my sleeping wife, and went downstairs.

Greeting the bodyguards, I told them to keep an eye on her while I would make her breakfast in bed and catch the flower delivery person before she could. On Monday evening, while I "had gone to the toilet", I ordered the bouquet I had researched the whole day long to be delivered for today.

It was her first Mother's day after all.

I smiled brightly at that thought. The mother to my twins! I popped the biscuits into the oven, cracked the egg into the hot pan and got out the sausage we lately couldn't stop eating (I don't know what they put in it but we both ate it now regularly for dinner when we were too tired to cook), grilled them and started assembling everything. I wanted this to be the perfect gift and all the secrecy I pulled better be worth it.

It wasn't hard to pull though: Fête de la Musique or Music Festival was coming up in France on June 21st, coinciding with the annual masquerade ball the Beaumont's held on that day. June 21st was the birth date of my grandfather and he had been passionate about art, he would be honoured his birth date and the Music Festival coincided this year. And bless my wife, she knew I was busy expanding and perfecting my subsidiaries so she insisted she plans this whole ordeal with Anne-Marie until I had time to join her.

The food is almost done and I'm growing more anticipated, picturing her reaction and smiling like a love-struck idiot, so much so the bodyguards can't hide their chuckles.

Flowers - "Ah, thank you Andrew", I took them off his hand and placed them in the first vase I found. I swear this was a new one, Sara could gaslight me all she wants to try and make me believe she didn't go to Target again, but I know her cute ass. Dollartree, Target, Walmart, Barnes and Noble - those were the sirens whose song she couldn't escape. At first, she had deemed them 'irresponsibly large and my god why is everything so HUGE in America??' but now she always suggested them when we didn't have any plans for the weekend, batting her pretty eyes at me.

One last thing was missing. The library, the highest shelf Sara wouldn't access because of her fear of falling, held the love letter I had written in the course of this week. I snatched out the hidden love letter and gave it a look over to see if I wanted to change anything, but I still loved it, pocketed it, and went to check if the biscuits were done.

Sara was smiling sleepily from ear to ear as I came into our bedroom with the breakfast tray, flower bouquet and letter. As I saw her hand on her stomach, my heart fluttered and melted. "Andrew told me to stay put, I wondered what you were doing. What did I do to deserve this?", she asked shyly as I set it down and bend forward to kiss her good morning.

I looked deeply into those big brown eyes, my right hand cupping the back of her head while my left-hand stroke the babies. Sara's eyes fluttered, fully knowing the desiring, proud look I gave her, which was always preceded by a kiss. So I pulled her closer, tangling my hand more into that stunning hair.

My lips brushed over hers, not able to contain my smile. Now or never.

"Joyeuse Fête des Mères", I said against her lips, my hands shaking how giddy I was.