Chapter 16 - Love

Sara's POV

I eagerly went to Michael after the examination was done - everything was fine down there. Man am I glad I did shave - mum really taught me well to always shower and shave before any doctor's appointment, or appointment in general, because you never knew what could happen. And I would teach our children the same thing.

"We'll hear the baby's heartbeat now the doctor said!", I squealed, jumping happily on the spot. "And we'll measure how far I am along really!"

A big grin spread on my handsome bear. "Well, what are we waiting then? Which room should we head to?"

"Well, you are in fact 6 weeks along, not 4", Doctor Sylvya proclaimed with a bright smile at the both of us and then turned back to whatever the machine was called.

I shot Michael a puzzled look.

We both did some mental calculating - but then it wasn't this April that it happened ... but in March.

I went beat-red and Michael grinned. It was at the time around his birthday. Where I had been his gift.

"A nice bday present", Michael whispered with a soft laugh into my ear, stroking the side of my flat stomach. "One that will take some time."

"Oh shut it!", I giggled, stifling it when doctor Sylvya readied a new device. "This looks interesting", I exclaimed, eyeing it openly.

"It's to hear the baby's heartbeat", her voice turned so soft, that it was almost motherly. "Are you ready?"

Michael's hand immediately intertwined with mine. "Ready when you are, doc", he agreed with a more than sure nod.

Silence at first.

My ears were ringing because of it, my hands growing sweaty at the thought that-

Badumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadump.

I turned my head to Michael - shocked, fascinated, scared, proud, happy - then back to Doctor Sylvya, mouth agape.

All my fears were gone in the blink of a second.

She smiled only deeper.

My head whipped back to the monitor. My ears grew sharper.

Badumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadump.

I only listened in awe - how fast it was! And loud! God I couldn't hear my own thoughts over the -

I stopped, nearly sitting up as realization hit me. My hands were shaking so hard Michael had to hold them with both hands.

That was our baby's heartbeat.

My hand flew to my stomach. Clutched Michael's hand stronger than on the night of the dinner in France. I was speechless. At a loss for words.

My lips started shaking uncontrollably. Tears welled up in my eyes. My breathing became flat.

Badumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadumpbadump.

That's your heartbeat, baby. That's you we are hearing. Our little baby. Our little us. You are alive. Healthy. Growing.

You are here with us.