11

Layla

I woke up on Saturday morning feeling somewhat cheery. Why?
My birthday was in 7 days.

I was excited, not just because I was turning eighteen but because I was going to see my mom again.

I got out bed, cleaned my slightly messy room and had my bath. As I was dressing up, my phone rang and I hurriedly picked it up after seeing my moms name on the screen.

"Hey mom"

"Hey sweetie, how are you?"

"I feel great mom" I said honestly.

"I'm sorry I haven't called in a while and I promise to make it up to you on Saturday" I smiled eagerly

"I can't believe I will see you soon, I've missed you so much" I said, "especially dad, he's a mess without you" I added. The phone went silent and I frowned.

"Mom?"

"I'm sorry sweetie, I'm going to have to call you back. I will make it all up to you, I promise" she said in a rush.

"Okay mom" I said to myself since she cut the call immediately. It was rather weird but I decided to shrug it off. She must be so busy planning her trip and all.

I headed out of my room to the kitchen to make a simple breakfast for my dad and I since he didn't have to go to work so early on Saturdays.

"Good morning dad" I greeted when I saw he come out of his room all dressed up.

"Morning honey, how are you?" He smiled at me and sat on the dinning table.

"I'm great" I smiled back, "mom called" I announced

"Oh" he simply said and I looked at him weirdly as he poured himself a cup of tea without looking up at me.
"Did she say when she was coming?" He asked.

"No, but she did say she would make it all up to me on Saturday" I smiled but it faded away after two seconds of watching my dad's reaction.

"Are you okay?" I asked worried.

"Of course honey" he then smiled, even though something in me know it was a forced smile.

"Why wouldn't I be? My little girl is turning eighteen" he said, distracting my earlier thoughts and I couldn't help but smile abut.
"Come sit" he called and I took the two plates of scrambled eggs and pancakes and sat next to him.

"Tell me your plans. Do you wanna throw a party?" He surprised me by asking.

"I don't even have friends" I said somewhat sadly.

"Layla" he dropped his fork, looking at me sadly. "I don't want you to feel alone, you're not alone okay" he assured me.

"I know dad" I agreed, "and once mom comes back, we will be happy again" I told him. He hesitated with his next words and as I was about to ask him what he was thinking, I heard a car pull off in our drive way.

I furrowed my brows in confusion, looking through the window to see who it is and guess who?

I saw Ashley and Gia making their way to the front door.

You've got to be kidding me.

I got up and went to open the front door once they rang the door bell.

"Hey" they both chorused

"Hi, I wasn't expecting to see you guys" I said with a tight smile.

"Of course you weren't" Ashley answered, both of them walking past me into the living room.