17

Layla

My eyes fluttered open and the first thing that hit me was the bright light. I shielded my eyes with my hand and slowly sat up, that was when my eyes adjusted to my surroundings. I was in the woods again.

God save me!

It was the fourth time in a role this was happening to me but I just refused to tell anyone. I sighed in despair, at this point I was fed up. Fed up at the fact that this was now my new life.

My birthday was in two days and I had no idea how I was going to handle it. I already decided in my head to stay home all day with my parents, at least till whatever turn they talked about happened.

I had tried to avoid Ashley and Gia for the past three days. Truthfully it was hard, as I went back to being alone but I was used to being alone. The problem was I had to see, hear and feel things that I wasn't used to.

Just as I was thinking about it, I heard a tiny sound behind me and I whipped my head around so fast to the direction of the sound, settling on all fours like an animal ready to attack.

I waited, until a black wolf came out from behind the trees. I recognized it instantly, being the first wolf to attack me. Next thing, my legs faltered and I slumped down, moving back slowly. I thought I would have been able to handle myself but clearly, I couldn't.

I was now sitting on the ground watching the wolf as it watched me also. Next thing I knew, i watched with my mouth open as  the wolf slowly transformed into a human being.

A naked human being.

A naked Cole.

I gasped in shock, staring at Cole straight in the eyes but then my eyes dropped down to between his legs. I immediately spun my head around to avoid looking at him twice. It wasn't the first time I was seeing him naked, but looking at him now felt so wrong. Mostly because it brought back memories I had not  intentions on recalling.

I closed my eyes and shook my head, quickly replacing my whatever I was feeling with anger.

When I turned to look at him, he was already wearing shorts. I did not even bother to ponder on how he was suddenly covered, I ignored his outstretched and stood to my feet.

"So it was you" I pushed at his chest hard, making him stagger backwards. "You attacked me" I was ready to lunge at him again but he raised his hands forward stopping me.

"Calm down Layla, I didn't attack you" he said while I glared daggers at him.

"I didn't mean to scare you, I just wanted to see how you were doing"

"Really? What a pleasant way to do so" I said angrily.

"I'm sorry" I narrowed my eyes at him.

"Are you following me" I then asked when i realised that our meetings are becoming too frequent and very likely not coincidental.

"No" he lied. I could sense it. "I was just taking a run and I found you here" I didn't believe a word he said. First of all, he followed me all the way to this city and now he was everywhere I go.

What did he want from me?

"What are you doing here?" He asked me

"Its none of your business" I told him.

"Layla, I can help you" he said.

"I don't need your help" I shouted, "I don't need anyone's help" why didn't they all get that.

"Layla listen to me" I looked at him, "this is the first time in centuries a human will turn into a werewolf, it could be dangerous" his words frightened me a little, but after two seconds I blinked it away and my stubborn self unmoved.

"I'm fine, thanks" I turned around to start walking.

"Could you not be stubborn for once" I halted at his words. He walked around and stood in front of me.

"I care about you"

"No you don't" I said almost immediately. "If you cared for me, you wouldn't have lied to me. You wouldn't have broken up with me" I said, my heart squeezing at the memory of him kissing Krystal.

"I had no choice" I scoffed.
"Krystal is my mate and I am the alpha. You probably don't even know what that means, but I have responsibilities. My pack looks up to me. I couldn't take a human as my mate and that's why... " he trailed off, as if realizing something. I seized the moment to start walking away again. I had heard enough. There was no explanation to choosing her over me. We were done, it was better it stayed that way.

"Layla I love you" he said, his footsteps heavy behind me.

"Screw your love!" I kept walking. "Go be with Krystal"
I felt his hand on mine in seconds and he spun around to face him.

"Krystal is just my mate, I'm with her for my packs sake. I don't love her, its you I love" he said to my face and I found myself staring in shock and disbelief.

"So what? Even if I believe you, what do you want me to do? Be your mistress or side chick?" I asked. He opened his mouth to speak but nothing came out.

"If you really care about me like you say, you will leave me alone" I said and pulled my hand from his grip. After one last look, I finally walked away without him stopping or following me.

When I got home, my dad was already all dressed up in the living room. I bit my lip in fear, hoping he wouldn't catch up to my lies anythime soon.

"Another morning walk?" he looked up at me.

"Yes dad" I lied.

"I was about to make breakfast, so go get ready honey"

"Okay dad" I smiled, heading towards my room.

"Wait" I stopped and turned to him, "I wanted to give you this" he pulled out a small box from his suit pocket.
"It's your birthday gift" he gave the box to me.

"Dad" I said in awe and opened the tiny box, revealing a beautiful silver bracelet.

"This is beautiful" I praised, "thank you dad" I smiled  in appreciation.

I went ahead to take the bracelet out of the box to try it on but immediately I touched it, it burnt my palm,  leaving a stinging sensation.

"Ouch" I flinched, letting the bracelet fall to the floor. A deep frown appeared on my face as I was both shocked and confused.

"Layla? Is everything okay?" My dad asked.

"Yes dad, I just mistakenly dropped it" I quickly crouched down to pick it up but when I did, the exact same thing happened again. It burnt me. This time, I threw it back on the floor, coiling my hand back to myself,  scared to touch it again.

What was the meaning  of this?