Chapter 1 : What is Racism?

What is Racism , you may ask?

Racism

Prejudice or discrimination based on skin color, origin, and/or religion.Racism is a system in which a dominant race believe they are superior and benefit from the oppression of other races - whether they want to or not.

We don't live in a society where every racial group has equal power, status and opportunity.

Yes, people of non colour all over the world throughout history have experienced slavery and persecution but have not been enslaved, colonised or forced to segregate on the scale that people of colour have. They do not face housing or job discrimination, police brutality, poverty or incarceration at the levels that we do. This is not to say that they do not experience things like poverty and police brutality at all but again, not on the same scale - not even close.
Basically.  Racism is evil.

Now let me Introduce myself , my name is Nathan Johnson age 21, I'm black and from a young age I have faced racism .

I study architecture at Princeton University and I'm currently in my Second year , as someone who is more on the introverted side and deals with the struggles of having social anxiety , I don't socialize with people and they don't socialize with me , but at times I don't think it's because of my introverted self but because of the difference in interests .

Ever since I graduated high school , I've realized that the whole "opposites attract" thing is a lie , from what I've noticed , people with similar Interests are the ones who are likely to become friends or more.

But despite that, I've managed to make some great friends and we all have one thing in common . We have faced racism.

A group of a friend's all with different origins.

Kim Yerim (she/her): age 20 , second year medical student , south Korean , raised in Florida , Asian.

Jeremiah Abara  (he/his) : age 21 , second year Social sciences , Nigerian raised in Texas , Black.

Amitola Bernard (she/her) : age 21 , third year medical student , Native American .

Konane Aka (he/him) : age 22 , third year studying linguistics , Native Hawaiian .

Liam Davis (he/him) : age 21 , second year physical sciences , Caucasian.

We've been really close to eachother and ever since the loss of George Floyd in 2020 , we got even closer as we begun to understand each other's struggles more .

Who would've thought that this group of ours would fall apart .