Chapter 12 : Reconciliation

• reconciliation
/ˌrɛk(ə)nsɪlɪˈeɪʃn/
the restoration of friendly relations.

Y e r i . POV

As I stood up and gave Mr Johnson a handshake, I realized just how cold and hard his hand was plus he had one tight grip , "Who are you , his Girlfriend?, there's no need to put in so much effort to impress me" he said as my mouth dropped in shock, all I did was greet the man!, "honey now that wasn't necessary,she was just trying to be nice , this is why Nate never brings people , let alone visits" Mrs Johnson interrupted , "I thought it was because he was never home" Jeremiah whispered bracing himself for a hit from konane , which he didn't receive, "what? Thought I was gonna hit you? No I'm with you , that's what I thought too" Konane whispered back , Mr Johnson let go as Mrs Johnson quietly apologized and then said , "would you ladies like to help me set the table?" , "yes please , come Yeri" Amitola said as she quickly stood up and pulled me , giving Nates' dad a piercing look that he thankfully didn't notice .

I know Konane told me that Nate's dad was Distant but he didn't tell me that he was so mean .

Flashback

(Night of attempted robbery after she helped Nate to bed)

Konane has just told me what happened to Jeremiah and we stayed silent for a while after that , it took me time to take all of that in "I believe you still have questions ,don't you?" Konane broke the silence and he was right , I had questions , about a specific person "what about Nate" he got up from his seat and went to the kitchen once again and come back with a bag of chips and a bowl , he opened the bag of chips and put them in the bowl "you might want a snack" I got some chips and gave konane the green light to tell me about Nate "ah yes ........Nathan Johnson, probably the most Introverted person I know, he has social anxiety too but it rarely gets triggered . His parents are still alive , his mom is an interior designer and his dad is an engineer with his own engineering company , you could say ............he comes from a loaded family, Nate wants to become an architect so he can work at his dad's company,they don't exactly have the strongest bond so he wants to use this an opportunity to get close to him , but I feel he wants to use it as an opportunity to vent out his anger at his Dad. He had an elder brother, Ethan and according to Nate , they were close . From a young age Nate had been made fun of and picked on because of his race , especially because he went to a school filled with rich predominantly white kids , it made him insecure about himself, but his brother was there for him , he taught Nate everything he knows about Racism and what not ,he trusted him" what does he mean trusted, did something happen to their relationship? "One day , Nate found out that Ethan was in a gang called Blood-hood , a play on "brother hood" , VERY corny" I giggled at Konane's comment, "he was angry , but then again, Ethan was his best friend sort of, so he let it slide. Ethan taught Nate how to protect and defend himself, explains how he was so calm and reserved when we were attacked earlier ........................... One night according to Nate , a police man came to their home , told Nate and his parents that Ethan had died in a gang shootout . Obviously Nate was devastated , he told us that that's when he realized what depression actually was . He stopped socializing with people , that was until he met Liam in middle school . Liam became sort of his new brother , heck I even thought they were when I met them" wait but Liam and Nate aren't - "I know" Konane said . Again with the mind reading! , "anyways. Nathan knows what racism can do and how it can hurt people, so he helps people as much as he can to feel accepted , that Honestly explains why he is how he is"

End of flashback

Amitola and I were guided into the kitchen where we met the man who brought Nate the invitation at the guys apartment, I looked at him and tired to remember his name , Leonard was it? , "Alfred" he said as looked at me , do men have some kind of mind reading super power to know what I'm thinking? , "okay ladies, please help me plate the food . Alfred can you kindly set the forks , spoons , cups and knives on the table?" , "sure madam" Alfred responded , "let me help you sir" Amy said as the old man gave her a kind smile . Now it was just me and Mrs Johnson in the kitchen plating the food .