1. Detour of Fate

-Riley-

-Riley-

It was pouring rain that Sunday night as I was returning from my weekend trip to my friend's house in the neighboring city. It was dark, and the weather was so terrible I'd decided to stay away from the highways and use the smaller roads instead. I was going maybe thirty miles per hour because I couldn't see past the headlights. I didn't really trust my driving skills.

The massive old forest around me seemed somehow threatening as the wind did its best to bring it all down, and I began to fear I'd made a mistake by choosing this road. If these trees fell right when I was passing them by... They were massive. They were unbelievably massive. My tiny Toyota wouldn't stand a chance.

I still had about half an hour left to go according to my navigator, but since I wasn't driving anywhere near the speed limits, it had to be at least an hour. Oh lord, what if someone was driving twice as fast as I was? They wouldn't see me until it was too late.

With that new fear unlocked, I tried to pick up my speed a little. I squeezed the steering wheel like it would somehow help me drive more safely. I'd never drive in a weather like this ever again, that was for sure.

Half an hour later, things got worse when the sky suddenly flashed angrily.

"Please... Let me get home..." I murmured, so close to parking the car somewhere safe to wait for this weather to pass.

I was way too tense. I jumped every time I heard a loud grumble above me. The road kept curving left and right, limiting my already limited vision. I had to slow down again, and I soon learned it was the best damn decision I'd ever made.

The road took another turn to the right. I saw movement behind the trees, and suddenly there was a person standing in front of my car. I hit the brakes as hard as I could, but I still hit him. Not hard, but enough to push the man over. I hurried out to see the man trying to get up, groaning in pain and holding his side.

"I'm so sorry! I didn't see you! Are you h–" I stopped to stare in horror at the gory mess in front of my car.

This man was not just hurt, he was torn apart. His white, shredded shirt and dark jeans were covered in blood. He had deep cuts and bruises all over him. His face was pale and his lips blue from the blood loss and cold. His breathing was nothing but painful whimpers. He was weak, barely alive.

"Please..." the man gasped, barely staying conscious as he leaned heavily against my car as he tried to get up. "Help me..."

I snapped out of my horror and hurried to his aid. With a racing heart, I quickly helped him get into the backseat of my car, where he collapsed, his eyes closed. This man was in desperate need of medical attention. His cuts were still bleeding, but the worst had to be his stomach. The way he kept pressing it made me fear for the worst.

Without wasting another second, I hurried back behind the steering wheel and continued driving, keeping the speed as fast as I dared. We were close to the city already. Just fifteen minutes, maybe less. The first street signs appeared in the distance only a minute later.