2. First Taste

-Riley-

-Riley-

An hour later, I still sat next to Sirius' bed, watching him sleep and cleaning his wounds with wet wipes. Mike had tried to do a lot of explaining, and I had tried to understand, but I honestly only cared about the fact that Sirius was no longer in horrible agony.

His screams still haunted me...

"Are you sure you've never heard of us?" Mike finally said.

"I haven't," I said calmly, which seemed to be some kind of an issue to this... werewolf. "Look, I thought I had a dead man in the back of my car. I've seen more blood tonight than in my entire life. I'm still trying to process that. I'll get back to you later."

Mike laughed lightly at my words. "Well, if you put it like that..."

I took another pile of wet wipes and continued cleaning Sirius' skin. The wounds looked awful, but at least all that black stuff was gone. That, too, was hard to process. He had massive open wounds, but none of them were bleeding anymore.

"So he doesn't need stitches?" I asked, eyeing at his stomach.

The wound was massive. His skin had been slashed open across his entire stomach. I tried not to look at it too closely since... well... Human insides were not meant to be seen for a reason. I was barely fine with all the blood.

Mike wasn't replying to me, so I turned to look at him. He was thinking.

"What?" I asked to gain his attention.

"Dead man's blood is pure poison to him. It has destroyed his health, so I'm afraid I do need to stitch them. I was hoping he would start healing on his own, but... It's getting clear he's not going to do that anytime soon. Wounds aren't deadly to him, but he needs blood, and if I don't close the wounds..."

"It just comes right out," I guessed.

"Exactly. I'll let him rest a bit longer before I start."

"I'm awake," the vampire murmured and opened his blue eyes.

"You should be sleeping," Mike said sternly.

"I feel sick..." Sirius said, his voice weak, and turned to look at me. "But alive, thanks to you."

"All I did was bring you here," I mumbled.

He gave me a tired smile and closed his eyes. "It was exactly what I needed... Not the hospital."

His low voice was incredibly soft...

"I understand now why you couldn't go there," I said.

"They do treat our kind as well," Mike said in a hesitant manner.

"They would've found me there," Sirius murmured, close to falling back to sleep.

"When you said you were attacked, you didn't mean an animal, right?" I asked, but neither of them were in a hurry to explain anything.