8. To Protect Him

-Riley-

-Riley-

The penthouse sure was amazing, but seeing Sirius' excitement really was the best part about it. I watched him closely, enjoying his sparkling eyes and a big smile. This definitely was the right apartment for him. But once the tour was over, and they started going through the papers, it became really clear really fast that Sirius was getting exhausted.

And he was in pain. He did his best to hide it, but he couldn't stop himself from taking small, sharp breaths every time he moved. The sounds were so small I doubted I would've noticed them if I hadn't already learned that when a creature who didn't need air was breathing, it was a sign of something – good or bad.

But there wasn't much I could do. I wanted to ask him if we should head back to the clinic, but I was sure he wouldn't listen. And I didn't want to let Silas know Sirius was injured. I had no idea how much this elf knew about him – or me – but for as long as Sirius had enemies in this city, every bit of information was too much.

When it was finally time to leave, I held back a relieved sigh. Sirius was turning pale now, and he was quite silent on our way back to my car. As I helped Sirius in the car, he was already in so much pain he was barely able to focus on me.

I called Mike to let him know we were on our way back home. I didn't need to tell him about Sirius' condition since he could tell just by the sound in my voice that he was not well. I tried my best to focus on driving, but no matter how carefully I tried to drive, every little bump and turn made Sirius feel worse.

Once we got back to the clinic, Mike was already waiting for us by the street, and hurried to help Sirius out the second I stopped the car.

"You guys... Making a fuss about nothing..." Sirius muttered, barely keeping his eyes open.

"Let's just get you inside," Mike replied patiently.

I felt horrible. I shouldn't have agreed to take him to the penthouse so soon. We should've waited until he was strong enough... Seeing him so weak made me fear this was a massive setback in his recovery. My fear grew worse after we'd taken Sirius back into his room, and he nearly passed out from pain when we helped him back into his bed.

"I'm... fine..." he whispered between heavy breaths.

"Yeah, you're just fine," Mike said, keeping his voice cheerful, but he clearly shared my worry. "You just try to get some rest, okay?"

"Do you need blood?" I asked, already pulling my sleeves up, but Sirius shook his head.

"I... This isn't... a vampire body..." he mumbled.

"He doesn't have fangs," Mike explained.

"I'll cut myself," I offered, searching for something sharp, but Mike let out a grim snort.

"Slow down there, pup. He can't heal you either," he said, giving me a weird glance before turning his attention back to Sirius. "We'll wake you up to eat once you're back in your own body, okay?"