7. The Penthouse

-Sirius-

-Sirius-

On Monday afternoon, I watched Mike as he studied my wound. He was pleased with it, but still concerned over how slow the healing process was. Even humans healed faster than I was now. Well, I guess he wasn't concerned about my healing process as much as he was about my plan to go check out the penthouse.

"Don't get me wrong, I like you and I like your clinic, but I need to get the hell out of here," I told him with a friendly smile. "I'm getting stronger now. And that means I'm bored."

He let out a deep sigh and let my shirt fall back down. "I obviously can't stop you, but–"

"Great! I'll call Marcus," I said and reached for the phone Mike had brought to me.

I'd already called Marcus Storm, the owner of Storm Enterprises, about the penthouse to ask several questions, and I really liked what I heard. He was glad to help me out with some minor difficulties I would come across if I wanted to buy the penthouse.

Now I just needed to go see the place. Seeing the penthouse wasn't the only thing I was excited about. I really needed to get out of the clinic, even for a few hours. The only reason I hadn't gone crazy was Riley, and he was now facing a long week of long hours in school. He could only stay with me a few hours every evening, and I was left alone for the rest twenty-two before he came to visit me again.

Marcus helped me to schedule a private tour in the penthouse for the next day, since it was supposed to be another rainy day. I was feeling happy and excited when I ended the call, but then I checked the clock. It was still three in the afternoon... It would take a few hours before Riley came to visit me. I suppose Mike noticed the immediate drop in my mood, since he raised his brows in amusement when our eyes met.

"You like the human," he noted.

"I'm supposed to be the one with mind-reading powers," I said with a snort, but then smiled. "I don't know... He's very... Special."

"I have noticed it, yes," Mike said. "Lucky for you, he seems to think you're special as well. You two really hit it off right away."

"In a platonic way," I said sternly.

"Sure," he said with a smirk, and I shook my head.

"I should not get too attached to a young human like him," I said. "So this will stay platonic."

"Age is just a number for as long as you're both consenting adults," Mike said with a wink. "Just saying..."

"Please, let's not do this," I asked quietly.

"Sorry, of course," he said. "I am glad you found yourself a new friend. I'm actually surprised you let him in that easily. You're normally so... reserved."

"And for a good reason. I wouldn't be here if I didn't need to be careful about who I trust," I reminded him.

"Have you thought about what to do with Elijah?"