9. New Hobby

-Riley-

-Riley-

The rest of the week practically flew past us. Sirius was slowly recovering, and the little setback thankfully hadn't ruined his progress. The wound was closing up, and his body was gaining strength. On Friday, he was even able to walk around the room a bit. It had been a massive relief for us all to see how well he was already doing.

I'd stayed with Sirius as much as I could, but because of the penthouse, I now had a lot more errands to run on his behalf. He was ordering a lot of stuff for his new home, though there still was paperwork and other things to deal with before the penthouse was finally his and ready to be moved in. We still had a lot to do before Sirius could get out of the clinic.

And then there was my new hobby.

"Let's get started, shall we?" a tall man in a black hoodie and sweat said, speaking from behind his desk that had several small cardboard boxes and a gun resting on it.

The rest five of us stood behind similar desks with similar items on them, and no matter how curious I was to take a closer look at the boxes, I kept my eyes on the instructor, Mr. Graaf.

"Last time, we learned about different types of handguns and how to use them, but from now on, we'll be focusing on the most commonly used gun, the Harbinger," Mr. Graaf spoke.

I nodded with the rest of the group. The guns Mike had let me borrow were both Harbingers, X67 and X98, as I quickly learned. This intensive crash course taught by this orc was Mike's idea, and I now had three classes each week for the next couple of months. At least the classes were only one and a half hours long, so it didn't take too much of my free time.

"The gun in front of you is a Harbinger X11. Make sure the gun isn't loaded, and the safety is on when you pick it up."

He gave us a moment to do as he said. I couldn't really tell the guns apart yet, but that was why I was here. It looked exactly the same as the ones I had at the clinic.

"X11 is a somewhat failed hybrid that technically can fire almost every type of Harbinger bullet there is. I say failed, because it is lacking in performance and durability, and because it tends to break the bullets ten times more often than its sisters. It is good for self-defense, but I am not bringing it with me to a fight, and neither should you," Mr. Graaf spoke. "It is, however, a perfect gun for our course because of its flexibility."

I peered at the boxes on my desk. Each of them had different kinds of bullets in them, but I waited before touching anything.

"The bullets in front of you are B56, B63, B67, B97 and B98. Like I mentioned last time, if you have B56 bullets – iron bullets – you should have an X56 gun, which can fire iron bullets. The numbers have to match. It's very simple."

I listened closely when he talked about the bullets in front of us. The first box marked with B56 had iron bullets in them, and Mr. Graaf spent a moment listing the creatures that could be killed or at least harmed with those bullets. He started that list with humans, and I felt a little surreal when he mentioned ghosts right after.