10. Just a Technicality

-Riley-

-Riley-

The weekend flew past way too quickly. I didn't want to go to my classes and leave Sirius alone. He was still weak after being without food on Friday, and it concerned me. I'd thought he was better now. Stronger. But one single day had ruined a lot more than our visit to the penthouse.

I couldn't focus on lectures at all. I'd fed Sirius in the morning, so he should be fine until I returned to him, but still... I was worried. Hell, I was ready to drop college just to be with him and make sure he had enough to eat...

When the last lecture finally ended, I tried to hurry to my car, only to get stopped by my friends.

"Riley! Hey! Riley! Wait up!"

I let out a sigh and faked a smile when I turned back around and saw them following me.

"What's up?" I asked, and once they caught up with me, I continued walking toward the exit at a slower pace.

"We're going to grab a bite. You should come. We haven't seen you around lately."

"Oh, you know, I have my new job, so..."

"Every day? Man, don't think we haven't noticed. Otto said you only come home to sleep."

"I really need the money," I tried to explain, but only got disbelieving looks. "I told you already. It's been hard to find more people to help."

I'd told them I was working for an old man who couldn't get around the house by himself anymore. So far, they'd believed my story. It really wasn't a lie.

"Dude – it's not your problem if he can't find more people to help him."

Now I was getting slightly annoyed.

"He is a very sweet man. I am not turning my back on him. He can't even get out of bed by himself! And you're telling me to just leave him there?"

Now the suspicious looks turned into ashamed ones.

"Sorry, we didn't realize..."

"I told you. I will help him as often as I can until he gets his things sorted out, and in the meantime, no, I won't be able to hang out with you guys as much," I said, and left the group behind so I could hurry to my car.

I was still annoyed when I arrived at the clinic. I grabbed a grocery bag from my trunk and headed in.

"Hi, uh..." Mike said first thing after opening the door for me. "Sirius is having company."

"What?" I gasped with wide eyes. "Why?!"

I did not like that. And I wasn't sure if I liked the fact how strongly against him having visitors I was.

"It's a council member. One we can trust," Mike said as he let me in. "They're here to help Sirius."

"Are you sure we can trust him?" I frowned.