Black Hearted: Chapter 9

On the floor, they found Ximena, legs and arms askew, eyes closed. All colour had drained from her face, leaving it almost grey and a gaping wound on her forehead gushed blood. Solana grabbed a tea towel from the stove and pressed it against her grandmother's injury. "Abuela."

There was no response. Solana turned to her brother. "What happened?"

Luc sniffled. "She said she felt funny then fell." He shifted his feet. "What's wrong with her?"

Jack found himself on the floor beside Solana, Ximena's lifeless hand in his. "Is she breathing?"

They both stared at the older woman's chest, which rose and fell slowly. Gratitude for the sight flushed through Jack and he unclenched his teeth.

"Let's get to her room." Abraham dropped to the other side of Solana.

"She's going to a hospital." Jack stabbed 9-1-1 into his phone with his free hand.

"9-1—"

Jack cut the operator off. "I need an ambulance to 1642 Fisher Street."

Solana's hazel eyes flew to his, then to Abraham. The man raised his eyebrows, shrugged. His eyes darted to Jack, then back to her. "We'll figure it out."

Ximena groaned, and all attention focused back on the woman on the floor. The fingers in his hand squeezed and Jack's heart tightened with them. The operator on the line babbled in his ear. "What's the nature of the emergency."

"My..." Jack glanced at Solana. "Grandmother fainted and hit her head."

"Is she unconscious?"

"Yes, that's why I need an ambulance." He sucked in air and reminded himself not to yell at the obtuse person on the other end of the line. "She has a contusion on her left temple and there's a lot of blood. Is the ambulance on its way?"

"I need some more—"

"You need to get an ambulance here now if you value your job." Patience flew away and irritation flooded his words.

"It's on route."

All fire had left Solana's eyes and a shiver of fear crept up Jack's spine at the dread he saw swimming in the cold irises. He had to turn away, focusing on the white-tiled floor and the emergency line operator. "Should we move her?"

"No. Apply pressure to the wound and make her comfortable. If she regains consciousness, keep her still and as calm as possible until the EMTs arrive."

Jack addressed Abraham. "Go outside and wait for the ambulance so they know which house to come to." Abraham glared at Jack, then at the top of Solana's head, which was bent, concentrating on her grandmother. "Luc. Can you help Abraham watch for the ambulance?"

Luc nodded and ran for the door. Outmaneuvered, Abraham rose and followed the boy, the soles of his flip-flops smacking against the ceramic tiles. The kitchen fell into silence, Solana focusing on the injury on her grandmother's head. Jack was left not knowing what to say or do. Actions he could handle, words of comfort were beyond him. "The ambulance will be here soon."

Solana's fingers moved over his hand, the one holding Ximena's. "Thank you." The words were strangled, and Jack had the impression she was holding back tears. He had the urge to tell her it's okay to cry. Or hold her. He shook his head, pushing away the strange notion. Words caught in his throat as he avoided the flood of memories, the similarities of finding his uncle unconscious in his office, late at night, almost too much to handle.

Ximena was not James. Jack resisted searching for puncture wounds on her lifeless arm. Whatever happened to the older woman, he doubted drugs were involved.