Black Hearted: Chapter 35

"You look lovely." Ximena passed Solana the high heels she'd requested.

The smooth silk of the dress moved with her as she bent over to put on the shoes. It really was a surprisingly comfortable dress. "Turns out Jack has good taste in outfits."

"He has good taste in a lot of things." Solana ignored the twinkle in her abuela's eyes, adjusting a lace shawl she'd added to the ensemble on her bare shoulders.

When her grandmother asked how the shopping trip went yesterday, Solana omitted the part about breaking her friendship pact with Jack. Despite achieving what he wanted, Jack had surprised her by insisting she attend the wedding. Along with his choice of dress.

Black was basic. Black was classic. Black would help her fit in.

All her life, she'd stood out. Her Latin background barred her from entry into her father's world, people judging her based on her dark hair and permanently tanned skin. Bleaching her hair helped her pass in some circles, but all it took was one stuck-up country club bitch to assume she was the help, and the illusion shattered.

Things were better in her grandmother's circle. She could be bold, brash, and colourful. Yet, although no one explicitly said anything to her or her abuela, Solana's Caucasian genes were a blemish, denying her full Latina status like her girlfriends.

"Speaking of the devil." Her abuela stood at the window. "I didn't think the man could be any more handsome."

A tuxedo clad Jack sauntered up the pathway to the porch, a bouquet of roses in his hand. A heaviness settled in Solana's belly, and she was drawn to him like a magnet. As he hit the second to last step on the porch, they were almost eye to eye. Aviator sunglasses blocked her from swimming in his baby blues, but white teeth dazzled her instead.

Without pause, he leaned in and placed a delicate kiss on her cheek. "You're stunning."

If she shifted her face, she could catch his lips in an actual kiss, but she hesitated, knowing Ximena was watching. The desire to touch him overpowered her as her hand settled on his lapel. Hard warmth met her fingertips. "You're not so bad yourself. Even though you didn't go with the Hawaiian jacket."

"Draven was all for it, but his fiancé insisted the look would ruin the wedding photos."

"Some people have no sense of style."

"You don't know the half of it." Jack's grin widened.

"Happy Valentine's Day." The roses in his hand split into two bundles. The deep red ones stretched her way. "And these are for you." Jack glided around Solana and offered the pink flowers to her grandmother, also placing a kiss on her cheek.

"How beautiful. Thank you." Ximena's face flushed, matching the petals she held. "You shouldn't have."

"You should have flowers brought to you every day."

Solana's heart swelled. "Are you sure you wouldn't rather take my abuela to this wedding?" She loved how he adored her grandmother, happy to share. Mostly.

Jack moved to her, placing his hand on the small of her back and sending sparks to places she needed to stay cool. "It's a tough choice, such exquisite women in this house."

Ximena waved her hand. "Oh, go on with you." She held her hand out to Solana. "I'll put those in water. You two have a nice time."

The warmth of Jack's hand stayed on her back as he guided her to the car, opened the door, and helped her in. With Jack beside her, the limo slid down the street. She snatched the sunglasses off his face. "There you are."