Black Hearted: Chapter 34

Jack refused to move, unable to chisel himself further away from Solana. The pads of his fingers were the only part of him he let linger on the soft curve of her jawline.

He craved more. Craved a repeat of what had just happened.

No. A thousand repetitions.

Sure, there were those few precious moments when his mind emptied and he entered the blissful void of nothingness. Was just Jack the man, not Jack the CEO responsible for people's livelihoods or Mr. Blackhorne, the heir expected to maintain a legacy. No, just a man able to enjoy. And savour it he did, experiencing the release he'd waited far too long for after weeks of denial and self-pleasuring. Being with a woman was always better for his high.

Being with this woman was in a different class. Unexpected yet gripping. Sex with Solana was long overdue and maybe that caused the divergence from his usual pattern. He'd spent too much time dreaming up what it would be like with her since that night in the club that he focused on the distinction between his fantasies and reality.

Her reactions to his touch excited him. The way she uttered his name and the small mews of delight she made had him eager to please her, elicit more. He'd wanted her to scream. For him.

When she shattered around him, it was sublimer than taking down his opponent in the boardroom, driving him to hold out as long as possible. For her.

With his heart buzzing in his chest like a hyper-active bumblebee, he analysed Solana's face as she studied the floor. Her lips, swollen from his kisses, called to him. To feed his addiction, he leaned in, but she slid down the mirror, under his outstretched arm and pushed away, leaving only a faint orange spice scent to satisfy him.

His jaw seized as he suppressed a groan. He discarded the condom and tucked himself back into his pants.

"I need to change." Her back was to him and her voice sounded like it was under water.

Jack caught her wrist and drew her to face him. "There's one other dress to try on."

Eyelashes hiding her eyes fluttered. "You still want me to go to the wedding?"

Confusion flickered under his rib cage.

Shit. Had she not wanted to have sex with him?

No. He'd been good. Played by her rules. He didn't play by anyone's rules but his own. But he had for her. Friendship was her call. He didn't force anything.

She kissed him. She tore off his shirt. She put on the condom.

"Of course. That's why we're here." The stiffness in her posture irritated him, her face indecipherable. He didn't want to give her an out, but had to ask. "Are you reconsidering?"

"No." The corner of her mouth twitched. "Wouldn't want you to be dateless. Might ruin your reputation as a lady's man."

Tension he hadn't realized had bunched between his shoulder blades eased. He inched closer, hoping not to scare her away, and tried to match her sarcastic tone. "Reputation is important."

Solana kicked off the stilettos, shrinking in the process. "If you say so. I couldn't care less."

"Lucky you." Jack crossed the floor, opened the door, and grabbed the dress the saleswoman brought. "I thought you might like this."

A chuckle caught in his throat as her face contorted when she took in the outfit. "You've got to be kidding me."

"Me? I never joke."

"That, I don't doubt." She snatched the hanger from his hands. "But all black? Really, Jack."

"I told you it's my brand." Plus, it had other advantages. The short, full skirt would accent Solana's slim waist and shapely legs and give him easy access to her tanned skin as they sat through the boring reception. He'd need something to distract him from the circus this high society event was sure to be. In the public venue, he'd be a target for every want-to-be entrepreneur in need of a cash infusion to start up their new adventure.