Black Hearted: Chapter 31

Wolfe's face made the expression Jack hated. Did James learn it from Wolfe or the other way around? The two men shared the same granite glare and straight firm lip when Jack proposed something they disapproved of.

"Are you sure you want to do that?" Wolfe's colourless eyes narrowed and suddenly Jack was seventeen again, doubt coursing through his veins, blood pounding in his ears. The urge to acquiesce, give Wolfe the answer he wanted, buzzed in Jack's throat, his lips attempting to part, to speak.

Why was it so hard to say no to the man? They'd discussed the Anderson takeover and there was no hesitation, no lack of understanding that what Jack wanted, Jack got. He had a mind for business, his uncle's and probably his father's gut instincts for what move to make next. Those genes ran in him. But his confidence stopped there. Anything outside of the boardroom, he floundered and followed Wolfe's guiding hand.

Not today. Solana could be here any minute. Could be on her way already. His hand itched at the memory of holding hers in the back of the limo. He concentrated on that thought, no, that sensation. The calm. The certainty. He bit his lip and nodded.

Jack thought he saw something like disbelief flash across Wolfe's face, but it was gone before he could identify it. "Fine. I'll inform the venue of your... plus one."

"Good." And it was. The knots in his stomach loosened as the tension from denying Wolfe eased.

"Anything else I should know about?"

"I'm taking the afternoon off."

Wolfe's left eyebrow shot up. "Excuse me?"

"I'm taking Solana dress shopping."

"Ah, I see." Wolfe's eyebrows drew together as he jabbed at something on his tablet. "The usual place?"

Jack hadn't been to Bellissimo since his divorce. "Yes."

"I'll let them know you're coming."

Jack looked at his watch. He'd selected his father's Rolex with the black patten strap today. He'd never really known the man, but the timepiece had been a present from his mother, so Jack assumed it held significance. Perhaps proof of their love. That was why people gave jewelry as gifts.

"Solana should be here any minute." He stood. "I'm meeting her downstairs."

"In the lobby?" Wolfe's face fell back to stone. "No."

Jack froze mid-step. "I don't think—"

"Exactly, you're not thinking. If the paparazzi see you with her, they'll splash the story all over Page Six." Jack opened his mouth to tell him he didn't care. But as usual, Wolfe was ten steps ahead of him in the game of publicity chess. "They'll find out her name and descend on her house before sunset. You don't want that, do you?"

This time, the denial flew out of his mouth. "No."

"Right. I'll have her meet you in the parking garage. Where it's more private."

For the entire ride to the basement, his fingers tapped against the cool steel wall of his personal elevator. Even though security had called to inform him Solana was here, he couldn't shake the irrational fear she'd back out of going to the wedding with him.

The floor bounced as the elevator hit the basement, and the doors drew apart. Revealing the petite blonde firecracker he'd been obsessing about all day. Her burnt orange skirt flared as she turned at the sound, and a wide grin graced her perfect face. Anxiety flew away at the sight of Solana, and he skipped out of the elevator.

More than anything, he wanted to scoop her up in his arms, press every inch of her against him, bury his face in the space between her shoulder and neck and make her moan in appreciation of his efforts. But that wasn't what friends did. Not that he had any to compare to.