Black Hearted: Chapter 24

Jack glared at the crack in the ceiling above him and wondered why he wasn't freaking out.

Early morning light seeped in from the small window in the cramped room. Pale purple walls came to life before him as the shadow from a tree outside crept across them. Never one to sleep much, he'd awoken early and confused. Until his weighted blanket moved.

Except he wasn't in his bed. And the woman splayed out on top of him fast asleep, was a thousand times more calming than any weighted blanket.

Panic didn't lick at his throat.

Yes, his mouth was parched, but that was the after affect of drinking too much scotch. So was the dull headache.

Even more surprising: a growing warm sensation tingled in his chest.

How was this so easy? Squished into the tiniest bed known to man, Solana pressed into his side and Jack didn't want to run. Normally, if he let the flavour of the day stay the night, he'd be out of bed before they woke, showering off their perfume.

Jack caressed his cheek along the top of Solana's head and inhaled her citrus scent. Still no sweaty palms, no need to count until the fear diminished. A warm hand sat on his hip, ash blonde hair on his shoulder. Most of the feeling had left his left arm, the appendage busy holding Solana, her shoulders rising and falling softly as she slept.

This morning, he didn't want to move.

Ever.

Memories of last night came in waves. Some were fuzzy, like how he ended up in Solana's living room. And others were crystal clear. Kissing her in said living room, the heat of her lips on his, everything clicking into place as he held her. Ximena in the hall, him in Solana's bedroom, words he never spoke aloud spilling from him.

Jack closed his eyes. He hadn't talked about Mrs. Winston in years. No one cared to mention her. The last time he'd heard her name aloud was when Wolfe casually mentioned between a competitor's stock price and an opportunity for a company take over that his former nanny had passed away. He'd arrived home to grieve with his wife, but their mansion was empty. Ali was at a meeting preparing for one of her numerous charity events. Unable to bear being alone, he took Draven up on his long-standing request to try Cloud Nine and for the first time since marrying Ali, Jack sought solace in another woman's arms.

Guilt pinched at his heart. At not attending Mrs. Winston's funeral and for the excuses he told himself to justify cheating on his wife. They'd drifted apart. Ali lost her spark, growing cold and reserved. He'd never loved Ali. That last one wasn't so much an excuse as more of a realization.

Solana stirred, her leg grazing his thigh, and pins and needles prickled along his numb arm. Jack's eyes popped open.

Anticipation coiled in his stomach. What would she say? What would she do? Would she let him stay longer or kick him out first thing?

She nuzzled into his chest and pulses of pleasure radiated from her touch, travelling north, east, west, and south. Way south. Now his heart accelerated. Her fingers flexed, and he missed their heat. Each move she made as she came to life fascinated him.

The dark roots of her hair morphed into colourless strands as she lifted her head and met his gaze. Hazel eyes, calm and contented with only the embers of the fire he loved flickering in them, inspected him. She looked gorgeous first thing in the morning. Hair mussed, skin glowing, mouth ready for him to capture. He hesitated, second guessing himself. Did she want him to take her lips? Last night she'd put a stop to things in the living room.

Yet she'd let him stay.

She's slept with him.

He bit the inside of his cheek to suppress his grin at that thought. Hadn't she once swore this would never happen?