Black Hearted: Chapter 39

His ex-wife had given Jack the robe as a Christmas gift the first year they were married. He'd hated the thing, but somehow couldn't make himself throw it away. Over the years, Ali had gifted him many luxurious items, all from lists he'd provided her. This robe, however, was perhaps the only thing she'd ever purchased on her own for him. She'd taken the time to have the hideous thing monogrammed.

Solana strolled out of his bedroom, the generous material dragging along the floor like a wedding veil, and swayed between her bare legs. Jack found a new appreciation for the garment. The padded cuffs and collar paired with the baby blue colour complimented her light hair and golden skin, giving her the illusion of a queen descending her throne.

A streak of colour in his grey world.

A beacon of sunshine in the darkness.

He suspected with one tug on the tightly tied belt, heaven would be revealed to him.

Little Jack agreed, begging him to use his hands for good. Jack ignored the twitch below his own belt and focused on why they were here. Solana feared something or someone in that ballroom tonight and he was determined to find out what or who. Then eradicate whatever had hurt her off the face of the earth.

"I made us gin and tonics." The large, round ice cube rattled against the thick crystal as he offered her the squat glass. "Hope that's okay."

Solana's lips curled, then fell back into a straight line. "Perfect." Warm skin brushed his as the drink passed between them and a tremor from her touch traversed his arm to his chest. She took a long sip and Jack watched her throat move with the motion. Little Jack reminded him of what it was like to suck on the tender skin at the base of her neck, how she'd purred last time he did that.

Jack tightened the grip on his own glass. "Shall we sit?"

Back to the window, he selected a spot on the furthest couch, assuming she would take the other. Instead, she curled a leg underneath herself and nestled in beside him. Close enough the hairs on his arms raised at the warmth she radiated, but not quite touching him. Little Jack suggested he fix the situation and inch over. In opposition, he took a sip of his not cold enough gin and tonic.

Lights from downtown LA reflected in the black pools of Solana's eyes. "What did you mean when you said you don't bring any women here?"

The question caught him off guard. He wasn't sure why the silly confession had tumbled out. "No great mystery. I don't let my—" he stopped himself before he said conquests "—women past the guest bedroom."

Her petite face crinkled in thought. "You're saying you have brought your... companions back here?" Her gaze swept the room. "Just not slept with them?"

Jack stalled for time, letting the cold liquid coat his throat. "No, I sleep with them. Everywhere." His eyes landed on the kitchen counter where he'd eaten eggs off Michelle Patterson's thigh. "Everywhere except in my bedroom."

Solana followed his gaze. "In the kitchen?"

"Yes."

Her eyes trailed along the wall. "On the balcony?"

"Yes." Jack smiled. If she was going to ask every place, this would take all night and they wouldn't get to the real reason she was here. "And the foyer, this couch, that couch, beside the fireplace, in the bathtub. Any spot you name, I'm sure I've christened it."

"Except your bedroom." The silk of the robe's belt curled and uncurled through her fingers.

"Except in there." Jack mimicked her, looking down the hallway that led to his bedroom.