Black Hearted: Chapter 50

Jack shook Anderson's hand. "You won't regret it. We'll make magic together, I promise."

The lightness in his chest was a cause for celebration. Any other day, he would have accompanied this high with sex. Or what he used to think was sex.

Since spending time with Solana, he'd discovered those brief physical spikes were a pale comparison to the experience of being with a woman who accepted him for who he was, not what they wanted him to be. His mind and body sizzling at the thrill of not only touching her but knowing how to touch her in ways that brought about pleasure for her and somehow doubled his. The moments when they were one, in body but also in soul. The heat of her skin brushing over his torso, her fingers in his, her laughter burrowing into his chest. Soft skin and demanding grips. The need for more mixing with the satisfaction of her simply being in the room with him. The way she drove out the cold and filled his life with light.

All he wanted right now was to talk to her. Tell her she was right, being vulnerable had worked. He had less than a half an hour before a videoconference with the shareholders over quarterly results, but couldn't wait until tonight. Phone in hand, he tapped on the screen to see the missed text from her.

Sol: There's a surprise waiting on your desk.

She was the surprise. He picked up the pace, racing to get to her. He could already smell the orange spice of only her, the warmth of her lips on his. Maybe he could celebrate the old-fashioned way. Or start a new tradition.

He did not expect Wolfe to be in the room as well.

The air in his office sat heavy, and the lightness in Jack's chest dissipated. Solana's eyes flashed at his, and before he could smile back, they darted to the floor. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up and Jack sped across the room, the need to touch Solana burning his fingers. His hand slid to the small of her back as he leaned in for a kiss. "Hey sweetheart."

At the last second, her head shifted, and his lips landed on her cheek. That tiny movement sent white hot pokers into his gut. They twisted at the smallness of her voice. "Hi."

Jack tore his gaze from her and focused on Wolfe, hoping for an explanation from his second in command. "What's going on?"

The old man straightened his tie. "There's been a development." Code word for trouble. Jack stepped closer to Solana. "A video has surfaced."

Beneath his touch, she stiffened. "Of us. At the club yesterday." Her fingers tapped on his desk. "In the bathroom."

His heart accelerated. A sex tape. The paparazzi would have a field day if it got out. "What's being done?"

"We're negotiating with the seller." Wolfe reached into his pocket and retrieved his phone. "Luckily, they came to us before the press. We should be able to neutralize the incident."

A mixture of rage at Wolfe referring to sex with Solana as an incident swirled in his stomach with relief the recording would most likely never see the light of day. "Good." He concentrated on the crown of Solana's head. "There's no need to worry. Wolfe is good at this."

"I'm sure he is." The tapping stopped, and she wrapped an arm around her middle as if she needed to hold herself together. In an act meant to portray reassurance, he kissed the top of her head.

Wolfe held up his phone. "I need to take care of this. Sign the papers in the folder." Solana bristled under Jack's touch. He stroked her back, attempting to a send morse code "don't worry" with his touch.

"Open or closed?" Wolfe asked on the way out the door.

"Closed." The door clicked shut and Jack perched on the edge of his desk, his hands finding Solana's hips and twisting her to face him. "It'll be fine."