Chapter 10 (Part 1)

"This is concerning."

My breaths came out in harsh pants as my lungs tried to keep up with my pounding heart. Sweat dripped from my nose as I bent over and grabbed my knees, gasping for air like a fish out of water. My face twisted when a strand of sweat-drenched hair landed on my parted lips, filling my mouth with salt. I spit onto the ground trying to rid my mouth of the salty warmth. I had gotten more of a mouthful than I would have expected.

Despite the struggle to breathe while choking on my sweat, I was still able to send a scathing glare in Ryder's direction, even if it only lasted a few moments before the sting of sweat had me clenching one of my eyes shut.

He was watching me with judging eyes. I could see hints of disappointment shine through as he eyed me, but the worry in his eyes overrode it.

"Are you sure you're fine? I can go grab the Doc, just say the word." He took a step in the direction of the castle behind us, looking ready to shift and bolt off in search of Ezra.

It had taken him long to go from drill sergeant to concerned mother. Apparently, struggling to breathe after climbing a hill was cause for concern in his eyes.

Ryder had no clue how much adrenaline played a role in my survival, it was being to show. All the running I had done in the last decade? That was for my life, of course, I would push myself to the point where I could collapse if needed. You learned to hold your breath for a long time when your life was on the line. It gave you the chance to bolt on careful feet while making little sound. That is until it ended with me gasping for air and nearly passing out at the earliest possible moment.

"I'm-" gasp, "-fine-" gasp.

Ryder frowned, eyeing me skeptically. "You don't look fine."

"She's lacking nutrition. She needs to eat more."

I snapped up at the sound of Jaxon's voice. He was walking down the brick path to the clear grassed area that Ryder had claimed for our morning torture session. The sun had risen, lighting the sky that was still dark when had first come out here. His blonde locks looked spun from gold, illuminated against the dark contrast of the black clothing he was dressed in from head to toe.

They caught my attention. He wasn't dressed as usual, it was more... tactical than his usual jeans and t-shirt.

"Training her like this is useless when her body doesn't have the nutrients to handle the strain. She needs to be fattened up first." He came to a stop with his arms crossed, his eyes scanning my body closer than I liked.

"She's, standing, right, here," I said through clenched teeth between breaths. He wasn't the only one that had a habit of talking about me rather than to me. I had a feeling it wouldn't change unless I made it.

"He has a point."

"Zev prepare breakfast for you back in the suite. It's on the table, the dishes are spelled to keep it warm. I told him to make extra helpings of protein, Ezra said it's important for humans to consume when training and building muscles." He looked towards Ryder. "Make sure she eats it. There's enough for both of you. The others already ate and are gathered in Cassius's study. You're going to need to go see him later."

Ryder scoffed. "I don't need to do anything."

Jaxon's eyes narrowed. "You're a royal concubine, now. You have to follow set expectations at your Queen's side. Not doing so doesn't just spite the King, it reflects negatively on Nea. There are certain expectations for you. Image is everything in power."

"Hmm, I think you're forgetting the part when he had his title revoked. And I don't see how you're in any position to talk, a golden dragon with anger issues probably doesn't reflect too kindly on her either." Anger simmered in Ryder's eyes. A muscle in his jaw jumped as he took an intimidating step forward.