Chapter 17 (Part 1)

I raked my fingers along my scalp as I pushed the wet strands of my freshly washed hair back. I made it halfway back toward my head before I froze and realized why. I was doing it to comfort myself while entering a room that would ensure I felt anything but.

My eyes narrowed on my hand as I dropped it. Was I being conditioned by the damn incubus?

He was always raking his nails across my scalp to distract me. The sensation never failed to draw my attention.

Ares did too.

I curled my fingers as my eyes rose to land on Cassius. He stood conversing with someone who I might have actually hated more than the Demon King.

"Lester," I greeted as a faint smirk knowingly turned up the corner of my lips.

The butler who started the animosity narrowed his eyes at me. It only made my smirk grow.

"My queen," he sneered out as he gave me a slight bow, trying to keep the disgust from his voice in the presence of his precious King.

It must have hurt him to call me as such after going out of his way to make my days harder. I think he hated the fact that Cassius had made me a queen more than I did. The title only brought trouble and a headache.

But this? I was enjoying this.

Maybe I wasn't as good of a person as I thought I was.

"Do you still need a moment to make yourself presentable for the King?" He asked, blinking his eyes at me innocently as he straightened with his hands folded behind his back. "I can go attain proper attire for you for your morning meal."

Nevermind. I was a good person. To other good people. Lester was an asshole who really needed a stick removal. He could get it together with Cassius.

I self-consciously ran my hands down the simple cotton shirt I wore. Cassius had yet to remark on my simple choice of shirt and jeans, an outfit I had regularly worn to meet him. It was comfortable after getting my ass knocked around.

I looked towards Cassius to see if I could spot an issue with my clothing on his features, but I found the dark-haired King leaning back in his seat and enjoying the scene playing out in front of him. He tried to hide his smile behind a hand, but his eyes gave him away. They were bright with amusement.

"You look fine, Lass. Better than you did when I saw you last. I see actual meat on your bones."

I instantly perked up at the sound of Henry's voice. I hadn't noticed him off to the side bent over a table with maps and papers sprawled across it. He strangely fit the scene.

"Henry!" I didn't hold back my joy as I made my way to him and wrapped my arms around him. The action sent a pang of pain through my heart at the memory of hugging my father similarly as a child. I hadn't thought I'd get to experience the same warmth again.

"What are you doing here?" I asked pulling back.

I was only going to take a step back to give him room, but I found myself stumbling back a few more when a hand landed on my shoulder.

"He was just leaving. You're dismissed," Cassius said in a hard tone as he pulled me back against him.

A breath rushed out of my lips as my back collided with his front.

Henry watched Cassius for a moment, seeing to decide how to proceed. When he decided to settle on giving a simple nod in response, my anger flared in his defence. Shrugging Cassius's hand off and pushing him back, I turned to narrow my eyes on him.