Chapter 19 (Part 3)

My body tensed against his as every ounce of control I had experienced in our in time the small dark room was replaced by paralyzing fear as his heated breath fanned over my neck. Memories of all the other rides I was helpless to stop teeth from assaulting the flesh flashed across my mind. I would have no way of stopping him if he decided to go for it. Asking was useless unless enough time wasn't given to answer.

But he gave me more than enough.

His breath stilled and his hands tensed on me. My eyes had closed in fear.

Seconds seemed to drag by, but nothing happened. It was then that I noticed I felt colder. I was missing the warmth he provided. My eyes opened to find Ezra looking down at me with saddened eyes.

"You weren't ready yet." The soft words sounded pained on his lips as his hands curled into fists against the table on either side of me, but he didn't move any farther back.

A sinking feeling developed in the pit of my stomach at the disappointment and pain I could see in his expression. He tried to mask it, but to difficult to miss. Especially on a face that typically reflected lighthearted joy. I had been selfish, not thinking of what message he would have gotten from my actions. He wasn't like the Ryder or Axel who thought any attention was good attention.

I placed my hand against his chest. It just sat there as I tried to decide what to do next. Words and phrases formed and reformed in my head, but I couldn't settle on any that would make things better.

"Ezr-"

The sharp ringing of his phone cut me off.

"Shit," he cursed as he straightened and reached for his back pocket. Silencing the phone he returned his focus back to me. The hint of visible annoyance that laced their way through the earlier emotions had my throat drying.

Sliding off the table, I tried to force him back another step, but he simply stood still as my body slide down against his as my feet reached for the ground. There was no space between my back and the table, nor my front and Ezra. I had to duck down to the side to grab my discarded clothing and escape. I was relieved when he didn't move to stop me.

Wiping the evidence of what may have been a mistake, I put my pants back on before shoving my feet into my boots sans socks. Those joined my soiled underwear as I shoved them in my pocket.

"I should get going. Or I'll be late," I added, trying to soften the blow of my escape.

I needed a moment to think and breathe.

And find some underwear.

I rushed towards the door, careful to avoid the scatter materials he had thrown to the ground earlier in the heat of the moment.

I was an asshole, I thought, pausing at the door with my hand on the knob. My fingers tightened on the cold metal. I turned it.

"I'm sorry," I said without looking back at him, afraid of how hard his reaction would hit. It was different when I couldn't blame it on the bond.

I could put my ego aside, stop wasting time, and just let him bite me...

But I wasn't that strong. Not yet. He was the last piece that had to fall into place. Once he did... I took a deep breath to calm the rising panic the thought of the future held.

So with the parting apology, I opened the door and walked out of the closet, gently shutting it behind me to give him privacy if he needed to still right his clothes. A brief and mild flash of possessiveness hit when the thought of another seeing him in the vulnerable state I had witnessed him in crossed my mind.