Chapter 25 (Part 2)

Gentle lips pressed against my temple.

"Come see me tonight," Ezra said, pausing for a moment before continuing. "If you still want to finish this."

He held his breath, waiting for my reply. When I looked up at him and nodded, his tense shoulders lowered. Despite his words earlier, he still wanted me to want this. To want him.

And I did.

"Right," he nodded, pulling back. "We should hurry. I don't want you on your feet for too long." His eyes glanced down at my still bare toe.

A red tint rose to his cheeks as he retrieved my missing sock and shoe, the Ezra I knew returning. I placed my hands on his shoulders for balance as he helped me put them on, but it only put a minor dent in the frustration he had left me with.

I ground my teeth together at the wet discomfort I felt with each of my movements, reminding me of what I had been denied.

Setting my booted foot back on the ground, he rose to his full height in front of me, forcing me a step back. He smiled down at me as he took my hand.

"Nea," His voice took on a serious tone. "I'm sorry. For everything." The corner of his lips turned up. "Well, maybe not everything," he added when I pressed my thighs together. "Come on," he said before I could open my mouth to return it.

He was the nicest one out of my men. That's why he was the only one who remained unbound. He cared enough to wait for me to come to him instead of taking me for himself.

The others were too selfish to hold his patience. Patience that I had tried and worn to the point of breaking.

It didn't take long for the two of us to find Axel and Jaxon. It was easy when we had Jaxon's angered shouts to guide our way. Soon Axel's laughter joined them.

"Get off your ass and help me, you old bastard!" Jaxon grunted as he swatted at his back.

"No, I'm enjoying your little song and dance. Though I'd suggest getting some pitch lessons. I think you're limited to a low range," Axel suggested from where he laid back gains a tree in the shade. He had found a plum from somewhere and was enjoying the ripe purple fruit that dripped down his fingers.

Jaxon released a rumbling growl that should have sent me running. Instead, I sighed as I released Ezra's hand. The bond directed me where I was needed, to the source of his irritation and... pain?

"Stay still," I said as I reached him. Not that I needed to. He had frozen in place when he noticed I was heading his way his eyes tracking me. All of theirs were.

I avoided meeting his golden orbs and looking at the others, instead of focusing my eyes on his shirt as I grew closer. A few small twigs struggled to remain on his shoulders from his movement.

His hand twitched when I grew near, wanting to reach out for me but refraining. I stepped around him to inspect his back and found the problem easily. On his back towards the top was a small ball of spikes stabbing him. The sharp needles had poked through his shirt and embedded into his skin. Small red spots soaked into his shirt around it, making my heart jerk in reaction, and explained why I thought he was in pain. It was because he was.

I went to reach for it but suddenly found myself facing his chest instead.

"No, you'll hurt yourself."

My fingers curled closed as I suppressed a groan. Sighing, I pulled down the sleeve of my shirt, wrapping my fingers in the fabric and creating pinchers.

"There. Now turn around, you are hurt."

My lips flattened in annoyance when he just stood there. I went to repeat my instructions, but he opened his mouth before I could.