Chapter 21 (Part 1)

It didn't take long for Axel to take up my every thought. Only two more nights of not showing. Three nights without the annoying bastard didn't hold the same results as I expected. Instead of peace, I felt myself drowning in fear of the unknown. The longest he had been gone in the past was only a single night.

What if he sent the note because he can't anymore?

I nervously chewed my nails as my leg continuously bounced. With each moment that passed, a new possible explanation rose to mind. Most tried to convince me to follow the map since there was a chance it would lead to him.

The past three nights it was clear he had been the only thing standing between me and my nightmares.

I needed Axel.

Snapping fingers in front of my face snapped me out of my thoughts and unfocused stare.

Ezra folded his hands behind his back, grabbing his wrist and holding it as he continued walking past me as though he hadn't done anything. I couldn't help but drag my eyes down his body as he walked away from me and around the room. It had descended into a rare silence as we- well, the others filled out the worksheets Ezra had drawn up.

I swallowed the saliva gathering in my mouth and looked down at the rough paper. It stung that Ezra had been giving me the silent treatment, but it probably stung more when I kept changing the subject when he tried to discuss the events that had occurred in the closet that was firmly closed shut.

I only got halfway through reading the first question before the growing weight in my pocket couldn't be ignored any further. My hands tightened on the wooden pen in my hand as I took a deep, steadying breath. I counted to make sure they didn't grow too shallow with the rising panic I felt. If I kept my heart at a level rate, maybe they wouldn't clue into anything. If not... well, it wasn't like they weren't suspicious anyways. I had gotten multiple glimpses of Zev during the moments I was supposed to have to myself. The cold narrowed eyes that collided with mine made it clear he wanted to be seen. He wanted me to know he was there.

My eyes darted to the clock. I still had another two hours of awkward tension remaining with Ezra. Surely Zev wouldn't be waiting outside for me this early, right? I tried to trace his location using our bond, but like usual, he had it secured.

I strained the pen between my hands, trying to decide if I could handle my mounting worry for one more night in case he decided to show or if I needed to try to relieve it with the heavy weight that lay tucked away in my front pocket.

What if he doesn't have one more night?

The fearful thought pushed the plan into action despite the danger to him being unknown to me. Neatly gathering the papers and supplies in front of me, I stacked them in the center of the desk before turning on my stool and hopping off.

I needed to find him.

Ezra was no longer able to avoid looking at me at the sound of my movements.

"Nea?" He questioned as I grabbed the sweater I had taken off and placed on the stool beside me.

"I forgot Cassius's mom wanted me to meet her for tea. She's probably waiting."

Ezra's brows furrowed but were quick to straighten. He gave me a curt nod before turning away as I quietly let out a released breath. It made me a bit thankful for Cassius moms constant and insistent meetings. There was no way Ezra would have bought the lie if she hadn't already established a habit of doing so.

Plus I was sure the fresh stretch of the added distance between us made it easier.

I slipped through the door and shut it quietly behind me, catching Ezra giving me a longing glance that had guilt resurfacing.