Chptr. 15

By the time Dave woke up, he found himself in a moving car. He tried to move but he couldn't.

He let his eyes adjust to the few sunlight that came from the windows. Someone was driving the car, and he was lying on the back seats with his mouth taped, wrists and ankles tied tightly with rope.

He panicked. What was going on?

He started humming and thrashing around. This caught the driver's attention and he looked up at the rear view mirror.

"Oh, you're awake."

He reached out to rip the tape off Dave's mouth, taking some of his beard hairs with it. Dave yelled in pain.

"OOOW! Wait... JACOB?!"

"Good morning to you, too."

"WHAT THE DEVIL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING?!"

"You wanted to talk, didn't you? We're going to do just that."

Dave struggled to sit up and looked out the window. He was in his own car, but Jacob was driving him through some abandoned field with dry grass and trees.

"But why have you taken me all the way here?! Are you kidnapping me?"

"Yeah... Something like that. Only for a moment, though."

Dave suddenly started thinking Jacob had taken him there to murder him for having snooped on his computer.

"Jacob, please, I already told you it wasn't my intention to spy on your comput-"

"Calm down, will you? I ain't gonna hurt you, Dave."

"Then why have you tied me up like this?!"

"What? You don't like it?"

"Jacob..." Dave said between gritted teeth.

"I'm kidding. I just wanted to make sure you didn't freak out and tried to jump out the door."

"Yeah, I believe you." Dave said sarcastically. "But if all you wanted to do was talking, there wasn't need to take me all the way here! What even is this place?"

"Just a few more miles till we get to the lake... Oh, there it is."

Jacob pulled up by a small cliff overlooking a big lake.

He got out of the car and opened the back door where Dave was sitting and pulled out a pocket knife.

Dave's eyes widened for a second but Jacob used the blade to cut the ropes from his wrists and ankles. Then told him to follow him.

Dave stepped out onto the dry and cold leaves on his bare feet. He was shaking with cold, since it was around 6 AM and he was still in his pajamas.

Jacob was standing near the cliff, looking at the horizon. Dave walked over to him.

"So, what did you want to know?" Jacob asked, not meeting Dave's gaze.

"First of all, who are you? And why do you do what you do?" Dave asked.

Jacob sighed. "You see... When I was younger, about 17 years old, something unexpected happened. The thing is, I had a stepdad..."

"Oh no..."

"Every day I would notice him staring at me but I just brushed it off. Until one night, he sneaked into my room while my mom slept... He woke me up and he... He..."

"Raped you?"

"...Yes, and no."

"Huh?"

"Thing is, he did force me to do something I didn't want to do, but not in the way you think."