Chptr. 20

Another month later

Jacob entered Dave's office to give him some papers. They were back to work already after three weeks of not working, so they had a huge lot of stuff to catch up on.

Jacob noticed the distress on Dave's face.

"Dave? Are you okay?"

"Huh? Oh, yes, I'm okay."

"No, you're not. You're stressed because of work. I told you that taking a mini-vacation wasn't a good idea."

"I know, but it's not only because of that. Anne is coming back from her trip tomorrow. Tomorrow!" Dave said exasperatedly.

Jacob took a seat by Dave's desk. "Yeah, that sucks. But that doesn't mean our time together has to come to an end, because you're going to divorce her as soon as she comes back, remember?"

"That's what I'm afraid about. The first days she was gone I thought it would be easy and didn't gave it much importance. But now that the day is closer I feel so unprepared. I didn't even practice what I'm going to say in front of the mirror!"

"It shouldn't be that hard. You just tell her something like you've grown distant these past months and that the both of you would be better off without each other. But don't just drop the bomb like hey Anne, I don't wanna be with you anymore and want a divorce."

"Can't you tell her with me?"

"Umm... Sorry, Dave, but this is something between your wife and you. Can you imagine if we both told her together? She'd know there's something between us. I'm afraid you'll have to do this alone. But don't you worry, I promise to be there for you in case things get ugly."

"How much is ugly?"

"Ugly as in... If she goes hysterical and tries to stab you to death with a knife."

Dave gulped.

"Okay, now don't start thinking that's actually gonna happen, it's just a-"

"You know, I actually think she's going to take it just fine, because... Well, she doesn't really love me that much as to go hysterical over a divorce. She'll probably just say About time! I was so fed up of you! or something like that and then will leave."

"You think so?"

"Yeah. And after that, she'll probably find a much more attractive and richer man than me."

"Well, that'd be her loss. I won't be the one who loses such a beautiful and funny man."

"You... You think I'm funny?"

Jacob smiled heartily. "I must say your himboness does make me laugh very often."

"My himbo- what?"

Just then, Ian entered to give Dave his fourth coffee of the day.

"Your coffee, sir."

"Oh, thanks Ian."

"Anything else I can assist you with?"

"Oh, can I get a sandwich?" Jacob asked.

"Jacob, you can't just ask my PA to bring you-"

"It's fine, sir, be right back."

Jacob gave Ian a quick smile which the young boy returned before leaving to fetch the sandwich.

"Don't you have more work to do?" Dave asked him.