Chptr. 22 / End

10 years later

When the news were heard, Dave lost his job and his company shut down. He earned a very bad reputation, but luckily for him, he wasn't in the streets so the reporters could nag him about it.

Jacob visited him in prison often, but in the last years he hadn't had the time to pay him another visit.

Jacob had quit his gardening job and now worked as a software engineer in another company. He still did some gardening himself in his own house as a hobby, though.

As for Ian, he became an accountant and moved to a new apartment where he could start anew, away from his toxic mother. And he also had a fiancé.

As much as Jacob would have loved to hook up with him or with some other guy, he always decided against it, saying he would wait until the day Dave was released, because in the end, he still loved him.

Those 10 years went by so slowly, yet so fast. He couldn't believe Dave was only a few days away from being released from prison, and he couldn't contain the excitement.

He checked himself out in the mirror one morning, still as fit as always and sporting a new beard. He thought he looked fine in it, and he hoped Dave would like it too when he saw him in a few days.

He texted Ian to see if he wanted to hang out and talk in a café, and he accepted. So Jacob put on a button shirt and jeans and went out.

Once there, he waited for him at a table. When he arrived, he waved at him and Ian took a seat opposite him.

"Sup, Jacob."

"Hey, Ian. How's life?"

"Pretty good, and you?"

"Me too. Dave is finally coming out of prison in a few days."

"Yes, I heard that."

Ian had changed a bit too, but it wasn't too noticeable. He was a bit taller and was way more confident than ten years ago.

They ordered some drinks and talked while drinking.

"Can you believe it's been ten years already since all that mess happened?" Jacob asked, playing with the straw of his frappé.

"No. It's crazy. I never thought it would come this far." Ian replied, thoughtful.

"Well, you see how crazy the law is in this country. And, tell me, have you... Come to terms with the fact that Dave is your father?"

Ian stayed silent for some seconds. "Honestly... It'll take some more time getting used to."

"But it's been ten years."

"But I haven't seen him in all this time. And when I do... I don't know how I'll feel about it. But I can already tell the encounter is going to be very awkward."

"...Do you think you'll still be attracted to him?"

"No." He replied quickly. "Well... I hope not, after all that happened, the least I want to feel for him is attraction. Besides, I only have eyes for my fiancé and you know it."