Rescued

~~~

Trigger Warnings - Wounds

~~~

"So, stranger," the taller of the figures began, "ready to tell us who you are?"

~~~

Rune had been in this strange land for just under a week but she hadn't yet had the time to explore it. Sam insisted she rest and refused to tell her how to get out of the large complex he had taken her to. She didn't feel like a prisoner, however, because Sam kept her company whenever he could. He did disappear for hours on end at times, but Rune knew he had a job. And whatever his job was, it must be exhausting because Sam would lock himself in his room for hours once he got back.

When Sam was gone, Rune would spend most of her time reading. Tubbo started bringing her book after book when she told him she didn't read books in her world. She only knew how to read for trading and such. This upset Tubbo greatly who then became obsessed with showing Rune his favorite books.

The first of which was a collection of short stories and poems. They were dark and exhilarating, just to Rune's liking. The second was a story of a long journey home, filled with monsters and peril. Rune didn't like this one quite as much, but the first one had set the bar really high. The next one, however, immediately became her favorite. It was a collection of stories about a brilliant "consulting detective" told by his best friend and partner. Rune found these stories alluring in a way that she hadn't felt in years.

So Rune kept herself busy for hours by immersing herself in these fiction worlds. It was hard at first, to keep her attention on the words. Her mind kept drifting, and her head started to hurt after a while from looking at all of the tiny letters. But it did not take long for her body to adjust, and soon reading like this became second nature. It was as if she had been doing it her whole life.

This is what Rune was doing when Sam visited her on this familiar morning. 

~~~

Sam walked into Rune's room to see her reading her favorite book again. He was glad Tubbo had found her something to do that wasn't dismantling his building. Even from the one door she tricked into opening, Sam could tell this girl was remarkable with wire works and engineering and he was excited to see what else she could do. Perhaps this is why he let her stay.

The life story she gave Sam was quite confusing and full of holes, but it seemed sincere. Sam assumed she was just out of it from all of her injuries. So he reassured the girl and let her stay at the prison. He treated her wounds and he felt that they were finally almost gone. The vials of healing really started to help once she was able to take them for herself. They certainly worked better when ingested.

Sam watched the young girl for a moment before speaking.

"Good morning, Rune."

The girl looked up from her book and smiled.

"It is a good morning, Sam."

"Can I see?" Sam inquired, gesturing to her stomach. Her injuries there were the worst, thus taking the longest to heal.

Rune nodded and moved so Sam could access her abdomen easier. He removed the bandages and prepared to replace them before realizing he didn't have too. I don't think I'm crazy, but healing vials have never worked this quickly on me. Sam had noticed she was healing fast, but this was too fast for any human. Rune seemed to pick up on his confusion and shrugged.

"Must not have been as bad as we thought." Rune determined. Sam wasn't so sure, but decided not to question it.

"As you are now miraculously recovered, want a tour of L'Manburg?"

Rune jumped up.

"Yes! I can't wait to get out of this place!"

"Grab your stuff then, and we'll leave now." Sam said as he tossed a small backpack to the girl.

"All my stuff?" the girl questioned.

"Yes, you didn't think I would make you live in this place for longer than I had to, did you?"

The girl's face lit up and she immediately started packing the few things she had. Her books, the clothes Sam brought her, and the few things she had on her when Sam found her. Her knife and a small blue bag were among these items. Sam was curious, but knew asking could only lead to trouble.

It didn't take the girl long and as soon as she was done she looked expectantly at Sam. Sam couldn't help but grin at Rune as he led her out his perilous building.

~~~

Tubbo had told Rune much about L'Manburg and she was ecstatic to see it for herself. It had been a long time since she felt so excited for the future. I haven't felt this way since-. Rune stopped herself before she could even finish the thought. We are not thinking about that today. She forced the memory out of her mind as she rushed to catch up with Sam.

He had been so nice to her once Rune had explained herself. He seemed to want more information but Rune wasn't ready to talk about that. For now, he seemed content with what she gave him, and Rune could only hope that that satisfaction stayed.

Rune turned her attention to the twisting passages Sam led her through. She wondered how anyone could ever remember how to traverse this labyrinth of passages as she struggled to keep up with Sam. A few moments later, Sam noticed Rune's struggle and slowed his pace. They walked through a few more passageways and down a couple flights of stairs and Rune began to wonder how Sam got her up to the infirmary. She didn't have long to wonder however, because Sam led her into a huge room with a giant portal frame.

He flipped a couple of switches, typed in a couple of codes, and the portal frame lit up with purple energy. Rune had always been taught to stay away from portals. Where she came from was full of dangerous, wild portals. Portals there meant death, but here it seemed to be safe. Sam had not led her astray so far, if he wanted to kill her, there were a thousand more efficient ways to do so. So Rune stepped into the energy, and stepped out in an entirely new place. Sam followed quickly behind her and turned the portal back off.

She followed Sam to another door, seriously, how many doors does this guy own, and let Sam lead her through it. Rune gasped as she took in her first glance of L'Manburg. What have I gotten myself into?

~~~

1130 Words 

The stories Tubbo gave Rune, if you're interested, are a collection of works by Edgar Allen Poe, The Iliad & The Odyssey, and Sherlock Holmes. 

- K