Villain

~~~

Trigger Warnings - injuries

~~~

Sam was just as much a prisoner as Skeppy as he waited for his creation to let him go. 

~~~

Rune wandered around the prison with no destination in mind. For a prison, the building was surprisingly easy to move around. But then again, she was using the guard passageways. It had been about five or so minutes when Rune came upon a door that was different from every other one in the building. Instead of a keypad, it had a single slot beside the door. Rune knew Sam wouldn't want her snooping in this room, but something about it called to her.

Rune pulled a card out of her pocket. She had kept the keycard she found at Ponk's with her ever since she found it, but this was the first time she had found a place where she could actually use it. The card fit perfectly, sliding all the way into the slot. Rune waited while a whirring sound came from the panel. Five or so seconds passed and the card was spat back out. A green light lit up over the door and it slid open.

Rune grabbed the keycard and walked carefully through the door. It shut with a loud bang behind her and Rune was faced with something that took her breath away. It was the smallest room Rune had seen in Pandora's Vault. On the opposite wall of the door was a desk, filled with dials, switches, and monitors. All of the screens were dark, but as the room lit up, so did they.

Rune moved into the room with trepidation. She wanted to inspect the monitors but something else took her attention before she could. A hiss to her left tore her view away from the screens. Liquid fire dripped down the entirety of the wall. Rune's breath faltered, she had never seen something like this before. Before she could think better, she was standing in front of the molten wall. Her hand came up, barely inches from the fire. A tiny drop of molten fire landed on her hand, causing Rune to screech in pain. She backed up from the fire and dashed back to the desk.

The monitors were now completely on, and each of them showed a different view of a single room. There was very little to decorate this room. A bed, a tiny desk, and an even tinier bathroom. A young man with a bored expression lay on the bed. He was face up with his hands behind his head and his legs were propped up. All in all, he seemed rather unbothered by his situation.

Rune instantly became infatuated with the idea of learning more about this man. Maybe this is why she pushed the keycard into the slot beside the lava wall. Whatever the reason, she somehow knew that this would bring her closer to this fascinating individual. An ear piercing siren went off right beside her ear, but it barely registered in her mind. A slab of stone fell in front of the only exit. Rune immediately realized she was trapped. Trapped in here with him.

She flicked a couple of switches, flipped a couple of levers, and the siren stopped. How did I do that? But that question would have to wait until later. She heard a mechanical whirring above her, and the liquid fire began to fall away. Rune looked to the monitors. The figure had sat up. Evidently, this had finally piqued his interest. The lava dropped away, achingly slow, as if it knew the pair were waiting on it to move.

Minutes later, it was finally done. This revealed a thin walkway to the cell. It was perhaps thirty feet away from the room Rune was in. A thick set of bars kept the stranger from venturing onto the walkway. He leaned against the bars with his head cocked, asking Rune a silent question she couldn't comprehend.

Rune took a deep breath and walked towards the stranger.

~~~

The walkway was swallowed up by liquid fire the second Rune stepped into the cell. Fire began dripping down from the ceiling, covering back her way out. The stranger stepped backwards, just in time for the bars to be pulled back down into the floor. Rune looked at the stranger, fully taking in his appearance for the first time.

He wasn't tall, but not short either. Dirty blond hair fell right above his shoulders, mostly tied back with a strip of fabric. His eyes were a bright, piercing green. A smattering of freckles dusted his nose and cheek while his lips were twisted in a curious smile.

Their eyes met. Some number of seconds passed as they stared, neither of them breaking the silence. A strange look appeared on the stranger's face.

"You aren't supposed to be here."

It was a statement, not a question, but Rune answered anyway with a quick shake of her head.

"You don't know who I am."

Yet again, Rune answered the not-question with a quick shake of her head. The stranger's smile grew. Rune knew she should be afraid of the stranger, but something within her found him alluring. It was then that he asked his first real question.

"How did you get in here? The Warden obviously didn't let you in."

"The Warden?"

"Sam."

"Oh. I'm not sure. Something helped me."

The stranger mouthed something to himself.

"Well, however you got here, I don't care. I'm just glad to have a visitor."

He turned and sat down at his desk. Rune spotted a stack of books next to the desk. A small shelf sat just beside them, filled perhaps one-third of the way with more books. But these looked rougher, as if they had been handled much more. The ones stacked on the floor looked almost brand new.

"Journals. They're my only friends in here."

Rune looked at the stranger. For the first time, he seemed hurt. But the look passed only a moment later. Rune knew she couldn't ask the question at the front of her mind, so she asked a different one.

"Who are you?"

"I'm the villain in their fairy tale."

~~~

1018 Words