History

~~~

Trigger Warnings - blood, violence, general distress

~~~

"Let the festivities begin!"

~~~

Spring was a beautiful time of year. At least, beautiful for the people who had nothing to do with the work it took to upkeep such a stunning city. It was the maids wiping the golden pollen from the windowsills, the gardeners who tamed the wild plants, the people not seen that made this city so pretty.

Every year at the beginning of spring, a festival was held by the elite of the city. For them, it was their favorite time of year. For everyone else, it was the worst. Such high expectations with such low tolerance for failure. Every working class man and woman made sure to do their job quickly, with practiced precision. Perhaps it was their focus, perhaps it was simply the chaos of the town, that let a young girl who didn't belong slip into the fray.

She, like all the others, moved silently through the crowd. No guard stopped her as she slipped into the castle on the hill. The girl walked into the kitchen with no issue and grabbed a platter. She wore the same worn garb as the rest of the servants and no one batted an eye at her presence. The place was simply too big to know everyone, and the family had hired some outsiders for the busy time. The girl was counting on this.

She moved into the busting dining hall, dancing around other servants and gliding over to the partiers when they called for her. With every passing moment, the girl kept at least one eye out for a certain prince. It didn't take her long to spot the arrogant boy across the room. She effortlessly made her way to his side, and began to speak to her former friend.

"More wine, my liege?"

The price just waved her away and continued his pointless conversation. The girl rolled her eyes and spoke again.

"Are you sure, my liege? It's hippocras, your favorite."

The prince merely waved her off again, before pausing and grabbing her arm.

"How do you know that? I've only told one person that and she's..."

The girl and the prince met eyes. His arm dropped and his mouth fell open slightly at the sight of the girl he thought dead.

"You know what. I am gonna have that drink."

He grabbed a glass from the girl's platter and took a swig. He closed his eyes and hummed with pleasure at the taste. But his solemn face returned once he opened his eyes and the girl returned to his vision.

"Come with me."

The prince had already started to move. He paused only a moment later when he realized the girl had stayed put.

"You can't boss me around anymore."

"I'm still your prince."

The girl thrusted a knife into his stomach. As soon as it got a taste of his warm, scarlet blood, the blade began to whisper to Rune. More, it demanded, we want more. The price dropped his christal glass of scarlet wine. It shattered on the ground, spilling the expensive drink all over the floor. Warm blood began to run down the prince's perfect suit.

"Rune..."

The girl scowled.

"You don't get to call me that."

She twisted the blade and pulled it out. The blade began to shriek, a grating sound only Rune could hear. After all, the blade was hers. The prince fell to the floor.

By now, the room had become an amalgamation of primordial screams and trampling footsteps as everyone began to run. Assassination attempts had happened before, but to politicians, not the royal family. They knew the stability of the entire system could fall apart in a day if word of this came out, or, they would realize this if they weren't running for their lives. Little did they know, the girl had already accomplished everything she had set out to do.

Guards rushed the room, and spotting the single non panicked person in the room was easy. They trained their guns on her and forced her to the ground. Doctors then rushed to the prince's side. Heavy irons were placed on the girl's wrists and the prince was still calling her name as she was escorted away.

"Rune..." 

~~~

701 Words