Friends

~~~

Trigger Warnings - eating

~~~

Rune nodded, glad to finally get away from this place.

~~~

It was a couple days after their visit to Las Nevadas and Sam was concerned. Rune became agitated whenever he mentioned Las Nevadas. Especially when he mentioned Alex. She was insistent that nothing happened between the two of them, but Sam couldn't help but wonder. But even if nothing happened between her and Alex, something was bothering her. She would spend hours just sitting, seemingly lost in thought. And when she wasn't doing nothing, she would throw herself into her work. Whether that was organizing Sam's library or working out, she didn't do anything halfway. It wasn't obvious, but Sam was sure, Rune was hiding something.

He wanted to wait until the right time to bring it up, but that time never seemed to come. Days passed, then weeks, and these feelings began to pass. Rune became less despondent and Sam became less concerned. He didn't know it now, but soon much more pressing things would occupy his mind. But for now, life was good.

~~~

Rune woke to the sound of bacon sizzling and the fire alarm buzzing. She laughed as she sat up and stretched. Sam wanted to learn how to cook, practically begging Rune to teach him. She assumed he wanted to surprise her with a delicious breakfast. Unfortunately, he had only accomplished half of his goal.

Rune slid out of bed and threw on some clothes. Sam had taken her shopping a couple weeks before so she wouldn't have to use his old ones anymore. Rune chose her favorite black pants and a garnet red top coupled with a pair of tall black boots. Satisfied with her choices, she exited her room, ready for the worst. What she saw shocked her.

Sam was standing in the middle of the kitchen, holding a pan of burnt-to-a-crisp eggs and trying to flip the bacon, all while reaching up towards the ceiling, presumably reaching for the incessant alarm. Sam's dog Fran sat patiently by his feet, knowing her master would soon drop a tasty treat for her to swipe.

Rune watched this scene unfurl in front of her for a moment more before speaking.

"Want some help with that?"

Sam looked up, his eyes begging for help.

"Please?"

Rune laughed and moved beside the giant. She grabbed a pot holder and took the eggs from Sam's grasp. She set the pan back on the stove, making sure the burner she chose was cool before doing so. She turned off the remaining burners, then the toaster. Thankfully, the toast was not too burnt, so she took the slices out and set them on a plate. The bacon came next, sliding next to the extra crispy bread.

"I'm sorry." Sam laughed.

"It's fine with me. You should be apologizing to those poor eggs."

"Is it salvageable?"

"Nothing a little bit of jam can't fix!"

Rune placed the doctored meal onto the table, motioning for Sam to join her. They ate and chatted about everything and nothing. The pair knew that they both would have to go to work soon, as Rune refused to sit idly by at home, but a little bit of breakfast with a friend was more important to the both of them.

When they were done, Sam stood up from the table, taking both his and Rune's dishes to the sink, promptly washing and drying them. He set them in the cabinet before turning to the pile in the sink. Rune moved next to him, rinsing and drying the dishes Sam washed. They finished quickly, giving them more time to prepare for the day.