Prisoners

~~~

Trigger Warnings - injuries

~~~

The two walked up to Puffy and the trio began cleaning up the Eggpire's mess. 

~~~

Anyone who didn't know the compound was there would have never found it. Rune only knew because the location was one of the only things her father left her. That cold night was so long ago. Rune forced the thought out of her head and began her journey.

She walked deep into the compound. It was overgrown with plants and many of the walls were crumbling under their own weight. Light from a handheld torch licked the surfaces of the hall, creating dancing shadows that reminded Rune of demons. Her footsteps echoed across the rooms, turning her quiet steps into much louder booms.

Before long, she found what she was looking for. A small room at the very center of the compound, deep into the earth. It was surrounded by all kinds of now non-functional equipment. Everything from radars to scanners were crammed next to this tiny room.

The mechanical door going into the room was open, but only just so that Rune couldn't slip through. Instead, Rune climbed into the room through a viewing window. Shards of glass cut Rune's hands, but a couple of scratches weren't going to stop her now.

In the center of the room was a pool of water. But the pool didn't exist. Or well, it existed in the sense that you could see and touch it, but not in the sense that it could be detected by anything but animalistic senses. Rune remembered a story her father used to tell, of two men who drank from the pool. One discovered knowledge never before known to the human race. The other seemingly went insane. He became frightened of everything, speaking very little. When he did speak, however, he only spoke of a god he called Fate.

Everyone dismissed the man as crazy, and Rune's father was tasked with the job of taking care of the man. The man became comfortable with speaking to Rune's father, telling him stories of Fate.

Rune's father came home and told her these stories of Fate. Magical stories that shouldn't be possible. But somewhere in his time with the man he took care of, he began to believe these stories. He passed them on to Rune with incredible conviction. The young girl never took on her father's belief in these stories, never, until now. She didn't have time to consider the implications of a god, or even if the existence of one was possible.

But standing here, in front of this impossibly flowing water, she began to believe. She dipped down her head, let some of the crystal water flow into her hands, closed her eyes, and drank.

~~~

Puffy had decided to stay behind and bury the butler, leaving Sam with the task of moving an unconscious Skeppy, and Rune refused to let Sam do his job alone. Sam didn't want to bring Rune back to the prison, but the girl was insistent. So the trio traveled together to Pandora's Vault.

Sam stepped through the familiar portal with a practiced step. Rune followed him shortly after, not hesitating like the last time she went through this portal. They were in the lobby now, and Sam did not want Rune with him as he figured out what to do with Skeppy. So he told her to explore the prison. There was only one thing that he didn't want Rune getting into, and Sam knew she couldn't hack her way into it. So they parted ways, and Sam began his trek to the infirmary.

He made his way there quickly, promptly opening one of the rooms and setting Skeppy down on the chair. Sam didn't need a situation like last time, so he strapped the unconscious man's arms and legs down, prohibiting him from moving. But this wouldn't be necessary. Skeppy would not wake for at least half an hour. So Sam poured a healing vial over his worst injury, a broken bone, mending it almost completely. It would be quite bruised for a while more but nothing he couldn't handle (or didn't deserve).

He then moved on to the smaller injuries, wrapping them and patching them so they would properly heal. After this, Sam removed the restraints and picked Skeppy back up. As he walked with him down to the outer cells, Skeppy began to regain some consciousness; however, he would not be fully awake until after Sam had him completely locked up.

"Wha...?"

Sam ignored his bewildered mumblings and moved to exit the room. It was two floors high, with six or so cells on each floor. He moved to unlock the giant metal door, but some harsh words from Skeppy stopped him.

"Don't you dare leave me in here." he spat.

Sam whipped around to face the petite killer. He towered over him but the shorter man met his gaze with an icy stare.

"You murdered an innocent man."

Skeppy traced The Egg's symbol on the floor with his finger.

"So what? No one cares about some nameless butler."

Sam realized with jolt that he, in fact, never learned the butler's name.

"That doesn't matter. He had a life."

Sam's words were becoming more like growls with every sentence.

"An insignificant one." Skeppy stood up and walked to the bars of the cell. "The Egg will give everyone's life meaning. Join us, Sam. Help us grow the Eggpire!"

The Eggpire? What a stupid name.

"The Egg is a cult."

"No. It's a-" Skeppy was cut off by a very loud and very distinct siren. This siren was different from every other one in any of Sam's builds. It was unique and had a very specific job.

Sam turned and sprinted to the door, but it was already too late. Only a couple of seconds had passed, but that was all the time the prison needed to lock down. All rooms, all doors, all exits would be sealed. There was now no way to move around this prison. This was Sam's design. When anything happened to the Prisoner's cell, Sam needed failsafe after failsafe to ensure he couldn't escape. But these same failsafes kept him from moving about the building.

Sam was just as much a prisoner as Skeppy as he waited for his creation to let him go.

~~~

1052 Words