Explored

~~~

Trigger Warnings - Wounds, Panic Attack

~~~

Rune gasped as she took in her first glance of L'Manburg. What have I gotten myself into?

~~~

Sam smiled at Rune as her face lit up at the sight of L'Manburg. It helped him find new meaning in the city he called home. He began the tour and loved how Rune was amazed at things Sam found so commonplace. It reminded him of the first time he came to the city, even though it was much smaller then. L'Manburg was beautiful, and Sam was proud to call it home.

L'Manburg was always busy around morning times, and today was no exception. Sam waved at friendly acquaintances and stopped to talk to friends. Rune was practically an adult, but the childlike wonder inside of her warmed his heart. It had been a while since he felt like this.

But then his eyes met a familiar figure across the road. A man whom Sam was not ready for Rune to meet. So he turned to the girl, and against all his better judgement, asked if she wanted to explore on her own.

"Are you sure?" Rune asked. Sam had been so protective of her up until now. What happened? But then Rune saw the stranger across the street. He wore a colorful mask but she was still able to see his eyes looking longingly in Sam's direction.

"Of course, Rune. You obviously know how to fight, and you're not too injured now to protect yourself. If you get lost, just head back towards that black tower. I'll meet you there."

He pointed to the northwest tower on the huge building they just left.

Rune nodded and headed further into L'Manburg.

"Don't get into too much trouble!" Sam called after her.

"Don't worry," Rune reassured him, and then under her breath, "I always do."

~~~

Rune had been exploring for just under an hour when she found a friendly looking neighborhood. On one side of the street was a small lake, on the other, a row of houses. Rune walked on the dock's edge, humming to herself. She had explored almost all the city, but wasn't ready to go back to Sam just yet. Wondering how she could stall for more time, Rune considered the few options she had.

"Don't fall in." A calm voice called out, starting Rune so much she almost tripped into the crystal water below her.

"Excuse me?" Rune called out, looking for the man who called out to her.

A being emerged from one of the houses, seemingly materializing from the shadows. He was tall, with yellow-blonde hair and a green and white striped hat. His tunic was a dark green, mostly covered by his dark cloak. But perhaps the most defining feature of all were the two jet black wings poking out from behind his back. He smiled at Rune as she backed up, cautious of the unfamiliar being before her.

He laughed. It was a warm, bubbly laugh that did not seem to fit the situation at all.

"Don't worry, young one, I couldn't hurt you even if I wanted to." He gestured to a silver band circling his ankle.

"It's a tracking anklet. I'm not allowed to leave my house." The man explained, but when Rune looked back up at his face, it didn't seem like he was terribly bothered by this fact at all. In fact, he seemed quite content.

"Why can't you leave?" Rune asked. She wasn't going too, but curiosity got the better of her.

"I have this friend. The government doesn't really like him that much."